: Mathes  ( 345 )

hermitcrab

• : 248
Mathes
« : February 13, 2021, 12:21:12 PM »
was Curtis Mathes ever just called Mathes?... I picked up a demonstration record at the local thrift store and it just says Mathes Demonstration not for sale...I seem to recall someone claiming to have a Mathes console...
Elton

Bill

• : 1984
Mathes
« #1 : February 14, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »
Hey Elton, do you still have the RCA stereo theater?   I'm not sure about your question, I have only ever seen CM. 

Bill

hermitcrab

Mathes
« #2 : February 16, 2021, 08:59:23 AM »
Hey Bill... yep still got it , the chassis is out and on the basement floor waiting it's turn ... after I get the other stuff done... working on a Onkyo receiver for a friend that keeps popping fuses , and a Sony R2R that lost a channel ( bad caps)....
Elton

Bill

Mathes
« #3 : February 16, 2021, 05:34:40 PM »
Hi Elton!   It's good to hear the RCA ST is still on the todo list.  I would hate to see you get rid of it.  Sounds like you are busy, and working on a Sony R2R.  Practice up, I'll bring mine over when you get that one done. I have a left channel that has lost it's highs, and on 3 3/4 speed it slows down about halfway through a tape. 

Bill

TC Chris

• : 2762
Mathes
« #4 : February 16, 2021, 10:55:59 PM »
Hey Bill... yep still got it , the chassis is out and on the basement floor waiting it's turn ... after I get the other stuff done... working on a Onkyo receiver for a friend that keeps popping fuses , and a Sony R2R that lost a channel ( bad caps)....

Talk about the Sony reel machine. What do these usually need when they get old?  My very old TC-350 hasn't been touched since I moved 26 years ago.

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

Re: Mathes
« #5 : February 18, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
Bill pretty much summed it up ...loss of highs is the caps, sony used ELNA caps which dry out and you lose fidelity...  and the motor slowing down is the run cap... sony's were notorious for bad motor caps , I buy the ceiling fan caps at to replace them...other than the usual clean and relube , they are a good machine...   
Elton

Bill

Mathes
« #6 : February 19, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »
Thanks Elton!  Someday when I get brave I might tackle that project.

Bill

hermitcrab

Mathes
« #7 : February 24, 2021, 05:04:58 PM »
I just did a total recap on a Sony 250A... both channels sounded like a tinny 78.... 7 caps per channel 14 in all brought it back to full fidelity ... and I did Find a Mathes console posted over on audiokarma looks like they were only produced for a couple years late 50's after that they added the curtis the one I found was from a post 5 years ago... I think radiotvphononut also has one he did a video on...
Elton

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
Mathes
« #8 : February 24, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
I have an AKAI M-9 that blows fuses.  You can work on it, too...... ;) :)

I remember a thread on Mathes on this forum.  How 'bout this?.......

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,2961.0.html
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
Mathes
« #9 : February 24, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »
Click on that line under my last post.  I don't know why the link did that, but if you click on the line, the link works.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

Mathes
« #10 : February 25, 2021, 08:45:35 AM »
That's a plain, yet good looking console.  I like the wood and it looks like it has PP 6V6's.  What's not to love!  Someday I would like to hear a CM stereo.

Bill

hermitcrab

Mathes
« #11 : February 27, 2021, 09:26:44 AM »
I guess chromebooks don't work to well on the site the way it is.... I get a 404 when I try to look at the pictures   
Elton

Bill

Mathes
« #12 : February 28, 2021, 07:58:40 AM »
At this point in time our old attachments are not available to anyone, no matter what type of computer device they have.  We cannot attach anything new either.  Maybe one of these days that will be fixed, at least we can all hope. 

Bill