Author Topic: Stromberg-Carlson Penthouse Series Stereo Console - RP-871 WO  (Read 2556 times)

SCPenthouse

• View Profile
Stromberg-Carlson Penthouse Series Stereo Console - RP-871 WO
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »
I just picked out a Birthday present from my family.  Out of nowhere, I got the "go-ahead" from my Wife to buy a console.  Just in time for some Holiday music ringing throughout the house.

Stromberg-Carlson Penthouse Series Stereo Console - RP-871 WO.  10 speakers.  200 watts.  Lots of tubes.  $140.

The radio sounds great. I cannot get the turntable to power on.

A few questions:

1. Any ideas on getting the Glaser-Steers turntable working?  I have a manual for a similar model.  https://app.box.com/s/kaycftw7pgzhslw18f5m  I have not yet started troubleshooting.
2. Do I need to do anything to plug a 1970-80s turntable into the RCA plugs in the receiver in the meantime?
3. The tuner sounds great but sometimes fades in and out. Any ideas?  Tubes?  Antenna?  Are there better antennas than the wire mounted on the back of the unit?
4. The Stromberg-Carlson head badge on the front is broken and only says "Carlson".  Any ideas where I can track down a head badge?
5. The top pieces have (of course) plant/water stains.  I plan to do some light sanding and staining.  Is there any reason to NOT do this or another method?  This needs to look good quickly since I have wrangled it into a space in our living room.

I am so happy to have this fine old piece of Americana.  And to find this fine website.  I appreciate any and all advice, information or opinions on my fun new hobby.

Thank you!

SCPenthouse

• View Profile
Re: Stromberg-Carlson Penthouse Series Stereo Console - RP-871 WO
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
More pictures...

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »

1: I have not ever worked on a GS record changer. Typically the old dried up grease and oil needs to be cleaned off and replaced with new. Also, the rubber drive wheels need to be replaced if they are too hard, dried up, or cracked. The original cartridge and needle may or may not be good yet. Check Voice of Music out for parts.

2: Plug it in and enjoy.

3: Could be tubes, dirty socket connections (tarnished), capacitors, dirty controls, etc. This type of issue is almost always present in vintage equipment and is why most of us rebuild/refurbish our equipment before we use it. The dirty controls are really just tarnished from age. An excellent product called Deoxit is available to solve the problem. You just spray a little into the control, work it back and forth, and usually it's as good as new. There are competing brands of the product that also work very well.

4: I'm also looking for one, I'm regularly searching eBay. If I ever find one I think I will make cast replicas.

5: Many other members are more skilled than me in this area, Often Howard's Restore a Finish can work wonders on the issues you just described.

I'm sure that as a group we can help you solve any issues you may find. Please don't get discouraged as these small problems are completely normal for an instrument of this age. From looking at your pictures your unit appears to be in excellent overall condition.

Pat
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:28:10 AM by Pat L »

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
Sometimes, Howard's restor-a-finish in the color of your set will hide watermarks.  Others have had good luck using dark Old English furniture polish.

A friend of mine went over a really drab looking RCA stereo console with Old English and I must admit it looks really good now.
--Larry