Author Topic: Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console  (Read 24299 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »
Okay, guys, here's my restoration thread for my very first Magnavox.  I got her unloaded this afternoon and I spent a few hours cleaning and detailing the cabinet.  I want you to know this cabinet is absolutely gorgeous!  It has a few light scratches on the top, and had a few flea bites on a couple of the front trim pieces, but that was it.  It cleaned up very nicely, and I was able to make the front of the cabinet look like brand new.  After a good cleaning, getting down in those corners with household cleaners on Q-tips, and once I was satisfied the cabinet was good and clean, I then took a dark mahogany stain retouch pen and applied stain inside every single groove on the cabinet.  You apply the stain in the groove, then wipe off immediately with an old rag so you don't leave any stain residue outside the groove.  I even did this to the vertical grooves in the top three front panels.  It just gives it a rich, finished look, and doesn't leave it looking dirty anywhere.

This model is a cherry finish, model #1st664s, with an 8103-10 stereo amp chassis, and 6403-00 tuner chassis.  I look forward to the electronics restoration beginning tomorrow, provided the caps I have ordered come in.

More pictures will be provided in this thread throughout the restoration. 
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »
The metal track that the sliding door glides in was full of dirt, so I cleaned that out real good and applied some turbine oil on a Q-tip and added it to the track.  I also put new small round felt pads where the sliding door slides against the right side of the cabinet.  Also put two new pads inside the changer compartment as well so the changer lid will shut nice and quiet. 
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
Si Belle, Magnifique!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:21 PM »
Thank you for documenting this Larry! What a fine unit for your first Magnavox  ;)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »
I pulled the platter tonight and the rubber wheels are hard and cracked, so I ordered rebuilt replacements from Gary at Voice of Music.  There isn't a washer under the platter gear (the ball race is just riding on the platter gear), so a thin platter washer will have to be installed there.

I noticed the ball race was upside down as compared to RCA and VM units.  On RCA's the part of the race that holds the grease always faces to the platter. This Magnavox has the grease cup facing downward.  Is it supposed to be that way, or will it even matter?
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
That's the way I have found most of them. I don't put grease on em either, just a couple drops of 20w Turbine Oil. 

Oh I wanted to say that you probably don't need any oil in that door track either, just keep the dust bunnies out of it and the door should work just fine, in fact having the oil there might make things worse as it will grab and hold the dust.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »
That's the way I have found most of them. I don't put grease on em either, just a couple drops of 20w Turbine Oil. 
Platter bearings really should have fresh grease in them.  I remove the bearing, all the washers, dig all the old grease out of the race with a small screwdriver, clean everything thoroughly in lacquer thinner, then fill the bearing race with fresh Phonolube.  I also grease the washers, both top and bottom, with just the fresh Phonolube that's on my fingers. 
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:47:07 AM »
The SM specifies that the open side of the bearing cage faces down. Also make sure all the pieces are there (thrust washers, etc).

Anyhow, I'll have popcorn in hand as I watch the progress of this thread!
Mark

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »
A friend of mine on ARF just told me that there is a rubber washer in there that can compress and cause the rim of the platter to rub the motor board.  That might explain all the scraping noises.  Is there a source for this rubber washer?
--Larry

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
that noise is just the dry cracked idler. i had one that sounded like a rock tumbler and a soft  idler fixed it.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
A friend of mine on ARF just told me that there is a rubber washer in there that can compress and cause the rim of the platter to rub the motor board.  That might explain all the scraping noises.  Is there a source for this rubber washer?

There are two neoprene washers for isolation. If they're worn you should be able to source something from a hardware store.
Mark

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Popcorn!  Dr. Pepper!  Your front row seat to the national championship!   ;)

While I had the platter off, I decided to go ahead and clean the platter and rejuvenate the rubber deluxe platter mat.  You remove the mat, clean the platter real good inside and out, being sure the inner rim of the platter is squeaky clean.  I then clean the mat with a warm solution of Dawn and an old toothbrush.  Even after cleaning, the mat is left looking a motley gray color.  It was originally a jet black color, and that's what you want it to look like.

I then spray the mat with Lucas Slick Mist Fast & Easy Interior Detailer, available at many auto parts stores, which renews the mat's original color and leaves it grippy like and not slick at all.  You just spray the stuff on, and wipe it off after a few minutes with paper towels.  Sometimes you have to do this two or thiree times to renew the color to where you want it.  This one did pretty good with just one spraying.  Below are pictures of the mat cleaned (which still has a dirty look to it), and the mat after the detailer is applied and the mat reinstalled on the platter.  The second picture looks much darker in person than the camera shows it.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
That is significantly better, very nice tip.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »
There's a problem here that I haven't yet figured out how to deal with.  There is an absolute mess of wiring harness wiring hanging from the changer itself to just above the amplifier tubes.  I don't know if Magnavox left it this way, or if the multiplex adapter was added later and a technician left it like this.  Anyway, it's the craziest looking mess I've ever seen inside an amp/tuner cabinet.  There are two harness plugs that plug into the amp, and also two coaxial connectors, but I can't even tell where they come from on the other end. 

If this were your set, what would you do with all this extra wiring?  Each wire could be shortened and resoldered, but that would be quite a job and very time consuming.  I am tempted to just retape everything to make a tighter harness and pull each one over to the side of the cabinet and secure it there rather than leave it like it is.  It looks like a bird's nest right now.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
The 2 metal "clamps" (or whatever you want to call them) on the sides of the cabinet are for routing the looms to keep them neat and tidy.  I don't like using metal clamps for wiring, I use the plastic cable clamps that you can find most everywhere to keep things in their proper place and out of my way.

Something like this...

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!