Author Topic: Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console  (Read 32481 times)

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Here's my rats nest. Its not much better. On yours I'm thinking the harness from the tuner to the mpx can be zip tied in a coil. Then the mpx harness to the amp can run along the side then in to the amp.

Now I wonder what's the correct way for the amp to face since mines 180 to how yours is.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
That amp is in backwards!

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
Thanks I will correct it and redo the cable routing as I'm not liking the bright green zip ties the previous owner installed.

I was under the impression mine was restored electronically. It had turned out the power supply was not done. So I looked over the amp and replaced any caps that were not done. I still need to check the tuner.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
The amp is now recapped!  I replaced all the original wax caps, white caps and black beauty caps with 630-volt yellow poly caps.  I also installed electrolytics underneath to replace the original can electrolytics.  I installed two direct from their source, and the other two I used a two section terminal strip.  I cleaned and tested the tubes, and all tubes tested very good.  Now, on to something else.
--Larry

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »
Looking great!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
I dread messing with that rats nest of wiring harnesses, but have to do that next.  Can you believe they would use wire hangers for those harnesses, and just hang them from the record changer?  I suspect this mess was done by some shade tree electronics mechanic.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
I unraveled the harness mess and decided to tape around each harness about every 6-8 inches, which makes the harnesses so much neater.  Now I can see where each harness goes!!!! 
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »
I removed the changer from the cabinet, cleaned the inside of the changer compartment, cleaned the top of the changer, and while I was at it, I serviced the platter bearings.  I'm calling it a night.  More to come tomorrow on the tuner/MPX adapter.
--Larry

Curtis W

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »
I removed the changer from the cabinet, cleaned the inside of the changer compartment, cleaned the top of the changer, and while I was at it, I serviced the platter bearings.  I'm calling it a night.  More to come tomorrow on the tuner/MPX adapter.
[/quote

Aren't those nice looking record changers. Thanks for showing the restoration. I really like that console

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »
I have determined that the scraping noise is the rim of the platter rubbing against the motor board.  I thought I'd just add another turntable washer and that would fix it up, but the washers I have are for RCA and VM changers and they are not quite large enough to fit over the Magnavox spindle.  Anyone know where I can get a fiber or rubber washer for this changer?
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »
Yep, the rubber washer at the platter gear bushing was compressed and hard as a rock, and I had to dig it out with a small screwdriver.  It crumbled apart as I was getting it out.  I need to find another rubber washer, or perhaps neoprene.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Washers of all shapes, sizes and materials can be found at McMaster Carr, if you can't find them at your local hardware store.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

SteveJB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 07:56:59 AM »
I just finished my 182BA amp re-capp.  The E-caps were packed in the corner as yours was.  I was going to route the 20MF and the 10W resistor the way you did (close to eachother), but I was afraid having them so close to eachother the heat from the resisor would damage the cap. 

Does that resistor throw off much heat?  I assume it is safe the way you did it, but I am not sure.  I wouldn't mind doing it your way next time as it is easier.

That's a nice loking set.

Steve

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
The small electrolyic (22 mfd. 50 volt) and the 10 watt block resistor wound up being against each other. If anyone here thinks that might hurt anything, I will order a new resistor with longer leads to separate them.

If there is a resistor between two electrolytic lugs, what I do is just remove the resistor and solder it onto the underneath of the terminal strip.  You can't see it in the picture, but it's there.  The terminal strip has two holes on each strip, and I solder the resistor to the back two holes underneath.  I solder the wires that hook up to the original electrolytic lugs to the front of the strips, along with the new electrolytics, and solder the negatives of the new ones together and only take the longest one to chassis ground.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Can anyone here give me the exact size of the turntable washers (OD and ID)?
--Larry