Author Topic: Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console  (Read 33633 times)

rcavictorland

Re: Restoration of 1961 Imperial Magnavox Stereo Console
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »
I just found some neoprene washers at Fuller & Son Hardware that work great.  No scraping noises when the platter turns without the idler engaged.  However, when you engage the idler, some scraping sounds are heard.  It has to be a rock hard idler causing it.......

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
The polished thrust washer (according to my cheap calipers) is .455" ID and .809" OD.

The neoprene one fits inside a recessed hole and has an ID of .574", same OD.

This assumes my standard Micromatic W603 is the same as your Imperial.
Mark

rcavictorland

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
I managed to pull the tuner and multiplex adapter today.  The tuner was just setting on a shelf and the only thing holding it in place was the front knobs.  I'll have to add a couple of screws when I reinstall it in a few days.

Once everything was out, I cleaned the inside of the cabinet to get rid of the cobwebs and dust, and three dirt dobber nests!  One nest was on the tuner itself. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:03:36 PM by rcavictorland »

rcavictorland

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
This afternoon's job was recapping the multiplex adapter, model 7002-00.  There are five brown poly radial caps inside it that look factory original, and have some strange labeling with no mfd. values noted.

The caps are labeled like this:
240#10%

I have no idea what mfd. values they are, and I don't have a photofact on the adapter, so guess I will leave them alone.  They are hopefully all good.  I did replace one white cap and installed thee new electrolytics, including a 30 mfd. 250 volt electrolytic in the electrolytic can.  Both tubes were genuine Magnavox tubes.

rcavictorland

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
I have finished recapping the tuner, cleaned and tested the tuner tubes, etc.  I decided to put everything back together (just sat it in the cabinet for testing), and here's what I've got.

1.  FM and FM AFC sound good, but when I connect the multiplex unit, I only get FM in the left channel only.  It must be something inside the multiplexer, or the connecting cables.  I don't like these crappy looking connector cables, so may connect everything with better cables with RCA plugs on each end.

2.  AM radio is totally dead.  Nothing...

3.  Changer table won't spin now when turned to on or auto.  I don't know what is going on there, since it worked the night I got it from David.

I hooked up my Akai reel to reel deck to the Magnavox and I am blown away by the sound.  Absolutely incredible fidelity!  Am listening to Santana right now on R/R.  Nothing ever sounds as good!!!!

Any ideas how to fix the issues I am having?

rcavictorland

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
The FM stereo is fixed and sounds awesome!  It was a bad connecting cable.  I replaced all three of them, and the multiplex works terrific now!!!

Now, if I can figure out why there's no AM.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 07:27:31 PM »
Well done Larry, perhaps the am problem will reveal itself quickly. I think on the last one I did the problem was a dirty tube socket, but I know you already checked those. How about that vertical .1 cap and the small electrolytic under the small metal top cover? 

rcavictorland

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
I don't know what I did, but the AM is now working!  I suspect the MPX cables had something to do with that too.  EVERYTHING IS NOW WORKING TERRIFICALLY, EXCEPT THE CHANGER!!!!!

Guys, I know now why you all love Magnavox top end consoles so much.  I have never, never, never heard better high fidelity stereo sound than these Magnavox mega sets put out.  I am totally blown away by the way it sounds. 

I truly must admit, this Magnavox Imperial is far superior to any RCA console I own, and I never thought I'd admit that........

I'm back to playing some more Santana reel to reel music... the drums and highs from this tape are simply mind boggling.

rcavictorland

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »
Well done Larry, perhaps the am problem will reveal itself quickly. I think on the last one I did the problem was a dirty tube socket, but I know you already checked those. How about that vertical .1 cap and the small electrolytic under the small metal top cover?
Pat, I always spray my tube sockets with clear tuner cleaner.  I also take a brass wire brush and brush the tube pins to get rid of most of the oxidation on the tube pins.  Then, I pinch the miniature tube sockets almost shut so when you insert the tubes, they fit nice and tight.  If you don't do this, you stand a chance of something not working right.

Are you talking about the cover over the FM tuner board, or the cover over the variable tuning condenser?  I didn't remove that one, but perhaps I should.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »
That is wonderful news Larry! I knew you'd fix it. I'm glad you have discovered how good the Imperial sounds. The two amplifiers, horns, and huge sealed woofers really are a magical combination.  :)

rcavictorland

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »
I don't see how a Concert Grand could sound any better.  ;)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
You just made a very astute observation Larry. I will admit to you right now that the Imperial's sound as good as the Concert Grand's. The advantages to the CG's are the added features, bragging rights, and higher collectibility factor. The Concert Grand's also reach ridiculous volume levels with less rotation of the volume control.

rcavictorland

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »
With my Akai reel to reel deck hooked up to it, this Imperial just about blows me out of the house at one third volume level.  Course I could turn the gain down on the reel to reel deck, which would allow me to match it closer to FM, but I love it the way it is.  I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED MY MUSIC LOUD... VERY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just a bit short of sounding distorted!   ;D

rcavictorland

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
You just made a very astute observation Larry. I will admit to you right now that the Imperial's sound as good as the Concert Grand's. The advantages to the CG's are the added features, bragging rights, and higher collectibility factor. The Concert Grand's also reach ridiculous volume levels with less rotation of the volume control.
I suspect it's bragging rights more than anything else.  Course the wireless remote control is a nice feature...........

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
I'm with you Larry just after 3/4 volume it just really sounds so much better. I love the sound of classic rock with the guitar playing through distortion. That's the sound that got me to really like tubes. I feel the speakers and amp gets to its sweet spot of really hearing that tube sound. Friday I had 2 concert grands running almost full volume. Its insanely loud. I do that when a guest has a expression as if old stereos suck.

My friend has a very nice sounding SS McIntosh setup. Its very nice and clean and loud. But it don't have the soul that a tube amp has.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"