Author Topic: 1958 Fisher 500 Mono Component System  (Read 3074 times)

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
1958 Fisher 500 Mono Component System
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
Besides my two Magnavox consoles, I assembled a typical 1958 component system.  It has a 1958 Fisher 500 mono receiver which I bought for $40 in the early 90s at a California Historical Radio Society swap meet in the SF bay area.  Three years ago I did a total recap and replaced the original EL37s (very tired sounding) with Sovtek 6L6WXTs.  I wish I could find the wood case for it, but they are rare as hen's teeth.

I have two record changers.  A 1958 Garrard RC98 w/GE VR II cartridge.  I also have a 1959 GE Golden Classic VR stereo cartridge.  My second changer is a 1971 Garrard SL-95B with a Stanton 500 Mk II cartridge.

The speaker system is an Acoustic Research AR2 which was given to me by a friend.  I lucked out with the air suspension woofer.  Most of the later AR series used rubber to suspend the cone that by now needs to be replaced.  Mine uses fabric impregnated with rubber and it works just fine.

I use the Garrard RC98 to listen mostly to 78s and 10" LPs.  I use the SL-95B to listen to stereo records (in mono), 45s and some 78s. 

For those of you who are not familiar with the SL-95B, the speed control and record size selection are fixed.  78 - 12" only; 45 - 7" only; 33 7"-10"-12".  The 10" 33s have to be played manually.  There was supposed to be an adapter to fit on the rear post which supports the edge of the records but I've never seen one.  I do have a 7" adapter which means I can play small hole 7 inch 45s and 33s automatically.  The 12" 78 size/speed was mainly aimed at those collectors who have 12" classical 78s, which I do collect.  Record capacity for auto play is only 6 records with the exception of 45s which can be a stack of 8 records.

This bookshelf system does sound very good considering the AR2 does not use a horn tweeter like my '57 Wedgewood has.  The AR2 has two small cone tweeters that are mounted towards each other.
Ray

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: 1958 Fisher 500 Mono Component System
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
Sweet. Those Fisher tube receivers sound great.
Mark

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
I forgot to mention my everyday stereo consists of Hafler components DH-110 Preamp, DH-330 Tuner, and DH-200 amp.  These were made by David Hafler who formerly owned Dynaco.  The Hafler amp does not have the ususal solid state sound.  He designed it to be warm sounding like tube equipment.

My turntable is a Technics SL-D5 which can stack 6 records.  Speakers are Klipsch Hersey's which have mid-range and treble-horns.  Also have a Technics CD changer and a Marantz Pro cassette deck.

I bought the Klipsch speakers in the early 80s because I remembered how I liked the way my parents '64 AstroSonic 30 sounded with the 1,000 cycle horn.
Ray

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »
Love those Technics changers.
Mark

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
very nice stuff! i have a technics sl-d2 its a reaaly good sounding turntable. i use a tube GE MF-1 preamp for it.

ive always liked hafler amps for thier massive power i miss my DH-500 it was 250wpc it blew alot of speakers.

klipsch hereseys are great also the cornwalls. once you put atleast 50 watts in a cornwall they really sing and pound the bass!

for car audio i like old made in the USA rockford Fosgate amps and Kicker L7 15"subs. i know most here dont like the pounding bass in a car but i like the feel of a kick drum. i had a ex cop car that thing had pounding bass i had to use spray foam to keep body panels from vibrating. heck the receiver hitch for a trailer would vibrate really bad. so if i wasn't pulling a trailer it was removed.

that crown vic pulled a lot of consoles home. a few fit in the trunk!
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"