Author Topic: Restoration of 1957-58 Magnavox Berkshire Two Piece Stereo  (Read 10123 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Restoration of 1957-58 Magnavox Berkshire Two Piece Stereo
« on: February 08, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
I got the Berkshire home at 3 a.m. this morning after a 25 hour round trip drive to get her.  I want you guys to know that the cabinets are just as beautiful in person as they are in the pictures.  The mahogany finish is simply beautiful and shines like new money.  There are no scratches anywhere on either of the cabinets except on the bottom front feet, and I'll be able to easily retouch that.  I saw a few real minor pin-like dings on the top of the speaker cabinet, and that should easily retouch as well.  The glass sliding doors on the top of the main cabinet are simply fabulous looking!

The grill cloth on the main cabinet is pulled loose from the mounting board on the left side.  I plan on removing the speaker board from both units, clean the grill cloth, and stretch the cloth on the main unit to fit the board.  If the cloth tears while stretching it, then I'd have to replace the cloth on both units with new cloth.

All the components are there and that 15 inch woofer in the main unit is really massive looking.  I didn't have him plug it in to see how everything works, just decided to take his word that it does still work.  But we all know what "works" means.  It means that tubes light up and there might be some sound, even if it is garbly or scratchy sounding.

The console and speaker unit are still in my van.  I am trying to get some unloading help to get it in the house later tonight.  I noticed the main cabinet is is on rollers, which will make it nice to move around inside the house.

Pictures will be forthcoming once it comes inside.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of 1957-58 Magnavox Berkshire Two Piece Stereo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »
The rollers are a nice feature, the Brittany's and later Concert Grand's also have them.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
And, Pat, I want you know there is no alligatoring of the finish above the tuner, or anywhere else on the cabinets.  The finish is absolutely wonderful and flawless looking.  There is one place below the front right door that looks like the original stain might have run a bit, but that's it. 

The finish is as close to perfect as I've ever seen on a 1950s vintage set.  I'm very happy about that.   ;)
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
That is great to hear, I take it then that you are well satisfied. What a beautiful set and significant as well being the last year the Berkshire was offered and the only year it was in stereo. I expect it will deliver the same kind of sound as the Imperial, which means first rate in every respect. I guess what drew me to the design first was the beautiful book matched veneer doors, and that it's all done with real wood. Pat

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »
That's great to hear Larry, since it sure looked like that finish might have seen better days in a couple of those photo's!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
The right door is a little hard to open, but believe a cleaning of the door closers and adding a bit of phonolube there should take care of that.  There is some yellowing on the white platter mat.  I hope that cleans off, but if it doesn't, I will order a new white mat from Gary Stork.  He has them in white.

I have a buddy and his wife coming over today to help me unload it.  Should have some pictures posted tonight!
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
She's in the house.  I plugged it in, and it works, but not much in the way of high frequencies on FM, but I suspect that's bad capacitors.  The changer works great and is very quiet, so a minor service and motor service should take care of it.  The tuning eye is very weak, so I need a NOS bright tuning eye.  The pilot lamp is out, but I have replacements.  Anyone have the photofact for this set?  The model number is 1SR288H.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »
The Photofacts for this go by the chassis numbers of the amp and tuner. They are in the download center. I've never seen a set specifically for this console. Pat

P.S. Great pictures!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
From Magnavox's 1958 catalog:
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
The Photofacts for this go by the chassis numbers of the amp and tuner. They are in the download center. I've never seen a set specifically for this console. Pat
Pat, I don't see any model number on the back of the tuner.  I found the photofact for the amp a few days ago..........
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »
How about on top of the tuner?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
Pat, found it.  It was hidden behind the tuner wiring.  Tuner number is 54-03-10.  I found both the amp and the tuner in the downloads.  Thanks.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »
That's good news. All I have to do know is sit back and enjoy you work your magic  ;D

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 09:58:03 PM »
I ordered the electrolytics for the amp/tuner tonight and also ordered a new 6E5 tuning eye tube.  Goodness, that tube is high dollar... $30...... ouch.

Tomorrow I plan to remove all the electronics from the cabinet and clean and detail the cabinet, inside the cabinet (which is bad dirty), and if I have time, clean the amp and tuner too.
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
You work fast Larry!
Mark