Author Topic: Dirty Grill Cloth  (Read 5150 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Grill Cloth
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
I know a guy on ARF who totally removes the cloth from the board, soaks and washes the cloth in Oxy-Clean, then rinses it, dries it, and reinstalls it on the board.  That is a lot of work, and frankly I hate re-gluing speaker cloth.

I've got to stretch the cloth on the Berkshire's main cabinet.  It is all loose on the left side and has shrunk in about a half inch.  I hope that cloth will stretch easily.  I've found in the past that larger pieces of cloth are much easier to stretch than smaller pieces are, and they always stretch easier when wet.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »
I would do exactly what you're doing in this situation. I bet it comes out like brand new.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
You have to be careful with Oxy-Clean because it can (and will) pull the red dyes out of some cloth.

I usually use Woolite "Dark",  designed for cleaning dark colored clothes in cold water. It is specially formulated not to lift the dye out of the fabric.

The other thing that works well is Dawn dish washing detergent.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »

The other thing that works well is Dawn dish washing detergent.
Good ole Dawn.  I use it for so many things, but never tried it on grill cloth.
--Larry

neali

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
Speaker fabric is specially chosen for acoustic transparency. So it is thin. In the case of the CG, it is also light colored. Behind it is light wood and black speaker cone. Especially if you use a flash, you are going to see the driver.

When the speaker cone is retreating, it is going to produce negative pressure in the cabinet, but that pressure will draw in air almost equally into the entire cabinet and the complete rectangle of the cloth. It will not restrict the dirt to the outline of the speaker.

That said, grill cloth in decades old consoles will benefit from cleaning. Especially if it was ever exposed to a smoker. Once cleaned, that cloth will lighten, perhaps enough to reflect enough light back to hide the speaker outline. Not usually though. It will definitely look better and thank you for posting some helpful procedures.  :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:37:47 PM by Pat L »

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
Let's get something straight, nobody had their console used as an example of "filth" or held up for ridicule. I commented on Larry's post soon after he made it because I know from firsthand experience the dramatic improvement that cleaning grill cloths can make. It never even occurred to me that he was trying to insult anyone. Larry picked out some example pictures to illustrate the point he was making. Those examples included pictures of one of his own consoles.

I didn't make lot's of rules for this forum because I don't want to restrain people unnecessarily. The only thing I told everyone was that I would insist on good behavior and civility. In the spirit of that statement I have removed all negative assertions and references to perceived slights regarding this topic. In my opinion they were unwarranted and the result of past conflicts or hypersensitivity. I hope this is the last that I need to say on the subject. Respectfully Pat.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »
I was not offended at all and mine was the worst. I'll take any ideas that make my stereos look better or sound better. I'm all for us helping each other with our passion of consoles.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I'll take any ideas that make my stereos look better or sound better.
+1. I'm also always open to any ideas to make my consoles better.
--Larry

doslefties

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »
Great post topic. And well documented. Much appreciated.

Keep Spinnin', Kyle
Keep Spinnin', Kyle

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »
I know a guy on ARF who totally removes the cloth from the board, soaks and washes the cloth in Oxy-Clean, then rinses it, dries it, and reinstalls it on the board.  That is a lot of work, and frankly I hate re-gluing speaker cloth.

I've got to stretch the cloth on the Berkshire's main cabinet.  It is all loose on the left side and has shrunk in about a half inch.  I hope that cloth will stretch easily.  I've found in the past that larger pieces of cloth are much easier to stretch than smaller pieces are, and they always stretch easier when wet.

Larry, I'm very interested in the process for re-stretching the cloth in the Berkshire. Please take pics!
Mark

UberVacTuber

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 07:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I'm about to clean the cloth on my Concert Grand and I was dreading removing the cloth, washing, drying and remounting the cloth on 3 panels. The auto carpet foam is a great idea!
Firebottles rule!!!

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »
Let me know how yours comes out. And exactly how you do it. I've been tempted to do it to my CG I'm just nervious
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"