Author Topic: Dirty Grill Cloth  (Read 15109 times)

Burnsy949

• Just getting started with consoles.
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty Grill Cloth
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add that I found it very helpful.  My
1947 Magnavox 148B - CR-197D chassis, 1961 1ST611 Concerto Far Eastern Contemporary.

Burnsy949

• Just getting started with consoles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »
My old console definitely needs a cleaning!
1947 Magnavox 148B - CR-197D chassis, 1961 1ST611 Concerto Far Eastern Contemporary.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 05:22:32 AM »
I thought I posted here, but did not see what I thought I posted. That said, I wanted to note that I successfully cleaned a "bright" white and very "nappy" grill cloth on a smaller 1965 Grundig table radio. It was alot of work for a small area, but it took this much to make it look clean again.

It was more than the common dust caught in the filter covering the driver, there was staining as well. I started with a vacuum using a pipe reducer to half-inch on the hose that did not pull and stretch cloth.

Using Bissel carpet cleaner in a can with a brush top built-in, got almost everything on the first pass. The second and third passes required a toothbrush scrubbing and yes, Dawn dw soap.

Each time I used enough soap to get it "wet" enough without using water to float the dirt, fearing I would stretch it, i waited until fully dry to vacuum again and see it brighten just a bit more.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave