Author Topic: Just Got my '59 Zenith Blonde 2 cabinet console home!  (Read 1447 times)

lesdab

• View Profile
Just Got my '59 Zenith Blonde 2 cabinet console home!
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »
This is an early 1959 Zenith SF188E and seperatly amplified speaker model SRS15E. The cabinets and finish are perfect and everything works except the V-M changer won't cycle. This will be my "keeper" as it is blonde as is the rest of the wood furniture in my living room. I will be going through the changer and also recapping it all soon. I have waited about four months for this to come available. It came from the estate of the original owner and was sold new at the dealer that I worked at off and on from the late 70's through 1999 when she closed the doors for good! The bottom of the changer stamp shows date of manufacture as 3rd week of 1959.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Just Got my '59 Zenith Blonde 2 cabinet console home!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
That is so cool, total atomic 50's style, I love it. I have restored that exact tuner before and found them to be challenging. Lots of wax/paper and electrolytic capacitors. For some reason I also find lots of broken dial cords in Zeniths. Despite the challenges, they are very attractive and sound great once restored. I find their quality very similar to Magnavox and Motorola. I'd actually rate the Zenith tuners the best of the three for attractive styling.

Congratulations on your wonderful find!
Pat

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
Very nice set.  That's the pale color blonde would should be.  I hate seeing blonde cabinets that are badly yellowed.
--Larry

lesdab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
The dial strings are all good so far. The bass, presence & treble controls have strings too. They turn the round numbered displays. My TV sitting beside it is yellowed. Did it come that way or has it yellowed over the years? I plan to try some gojo on it when I can actually remember to do so. BTW, The Hoffman has a new LED behind the mask. I gave up trying to get it working. I'm not that smart. ???

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Your TV came from the factory at about the same color as your Zenith console hi-fi.  Yellowing occurs over the years when these blonde cabinets are exposed to lots of light.  Maybe the TV spent most of its life in someone's window with the curtains open.
--Larry

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
That is sure a nice Zenith. The TOTL models like that seem to be pretty uncommon as well.
Im looking forward to seeing progress on your record changer as it looks like a Cobramatic, but made by V-M
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave