Author Topic: Grill Cloth restoration  (Read 1061 times)

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Grill Cloth restoration
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
I was going to post in Larry's Berkshire restoration thread but thought this was worth a new one. Larry's later Berkshire has a thin synthetic cloth similar to what you'd find on a modern speaker. My '56 cloth looks like this:

The cloth in my 1950 console looks like this:

I'd be interested in seeing closeups off other vintage grill cloths, and perhaps we can document the different types over the years and member's restoration methods. You'll notice the staple in the cloth in the '56 that the previous owner put in when he repaired it. I may try to re-do this but I'm afraid I'll make it worse, and I doubt anyone is making a cloth quite like this. The '50 cloth is perfect.
Mark

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Grill Cloth restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
My cloth is not thin... it is so thick and rigid it is impossible to stretch.  I would imagine these plastic cloths get more rigid as the years roll by.  As for staples showing, I stapled mine as close to the edge of the speaker board as I could (less than 1/4 inch), and four or five staples still show.

I am going to replace the cloth and staple it only on the back.  I don't want any staples showing............
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: Grill Cloth restoration
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
Is it the same as the stuff in my 1956?
Mark

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile