Author Topic: CL: Bell & Howell in Disguise? Columbia Masterworks Console  (Read 10815 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: CL: Bell & Howell in Disguise? Columbia Masterworks Console
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
Paul, both my console and spare faceplate are silk screened Bell & Howell so I haven't personally seen the Columbia plates. The console that you just posted pictures of is identical to mine except for the Columbia label.

I also noticed the other plate under the jacks and thought it must of been part of the stereo adaptation. I can tell you that on the units I have the preamps and equalizers are all mono. They do not have the above and below separate channel controls that yours has. Mine has a greater variety of equalization settings for the single channel. The number of push button and the layout are identical, they are just labeled differently. I am very curious how the preamp was redesigned for stereo use as the chassis looks identical to the mono version. It appears that they must've reduced the number of available functions and then created two channels with the extra space saved.

Kudos on finding these three pictures by the way, I've never seen them before and I have spent many hours looking.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
Packed up and ready to go.... Pick up is scheduled for next week!!!

Extension speakers and other misc. small parts are safely packed in the record storage compartment on the left side of the console, and the entire console is cocooned in bubble wrap, cardboard, and stretch wrap.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Very nice protection. How is the console being shipped?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
I would want a frame built around it, and cardboard all the way around the frame for ultimate protection.  I can't imagine shrink wrap providing much protection for a cross country journey.
--Larry

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
The console is being shipped through a professional packing/shipping facility. 

They "feature the latest and greatest in custom-built protective crating and shipping boxes. We will use our expertise and experience to help you ship even the most difficult or awkward items."

We shall see.
I contracted them through uShip.  Once they get it to their facility, they're supposed to evaluate what methods of crating/ wrapping are best suited to make sure it arrives back east safely.  So far they have been very good at communicating each step of the process.

Shoot, they better do a fantastic job.  I think Ken has raised the bar substantially with his cocoon of protection!  They don't want to be put to shame.  Ken, you are certainly a "Hero Member"!  Thank you for all you've done.
Paul

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
What do they charge?
--Larry

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
The shipping company is charging $850 to have the console protected and shipped east.  Pretty reasonable considering it would cost me a minimum of $750 in gas and at least 5 days of hotels/meals and a week of vacation.
Paul

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »
Paul, thanks for sharing that information with us. It's a bit personal, but it allows everyone to estimate what the real cost of moving a top of the line unit across country is. I guarantee that this console is about as long and as heavy as any you're ever likely to come across. About the only one I can even think of that would be bigger would be a full on Curtis Mathes battleship.

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »
That's a lot of money, but compared to what the unit went for new, probably very reasonable. Especially if the furniture value is considered over and above the stereo equipment. Definitely an heirloom piece.
Tom

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
The shipping company is charging $850 to have the console protected and shipped east.  Pretty reasonable considering it would cost me a minimum of $750 in gas and at least 5 days of hotels/meals and a week of vacation.
You'll then need to hire a crane operator to unload it at your house.   ;)
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »

Considering the dimensions of this unit 74" x 39" x 19" and the 300+ pound weight this seems to me to be a very good price, especially if the shipping company is building a custom crate to send it in.

I would bet that Paul could have found a less expensive shipping option but given the extreme rarity of this console his choice seems quite prudent.

y2kBruce has lots of experience shipping very large radios... I was hoping that he would weigh in on this topic with his opinion.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 01:36:33 PM »
Pauls Console has just been picked up by the shipping company, and has now begun it's long journey across the United States to it's new home on the East Coast!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:58 PM »
Ken, I cannot say it enough, "THANK YOU" for all your help!  I'm quietly anticipating its arrival.  ;D
Paul

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 01:56:59 AM »
You are most welcome Paul.

It was my pleasure just to get to see this beast up close and personal!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
The console is boxed, palletized, wrapped and ready to go.  It's supposed to ship this afternoon and arrive sometime the middle of next week.  Looking forward to it.  ;D
Paul