Author Topic: CL: Bell & Howell in Disguise? Columbia Masterworks Console  (Read 12945 times)

dleverson66

• View Profile
Re: CL: Bell & Howell in Disguise? Columbia Masterworks Console
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
Our Columbia Masterwork 866 was manufactured the 41st week of 1957 and purchased by the original owner for Christmas that year.  He paid $1575.00 for it (approximately $13K-$15K today.)  The color is Sandrift....just like yours, Paul.

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
Wow, that is one gorgeous console!  It looks like new money.  I got my work cut out for me to get mine shining like that.  How do you like the performance of the console?  I'm not going to power mine up until I go through it replacing caps and a full check out.  By the way, welcome aboard.  It's great to see more like-minded people joining this wonderful forum. 

You should make the first or third image your avatar.  Great images.
Paul

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
Thanks, Paul!  :) We are in LOVE with this HiFi!  The sound is incredible!  And when I put just the right album on MAN does it sing!!!  The previous owners (such a sweet, old couple) made a very complete list of the appropriate setting to use on the equalizer for each and every record company from the late 1950s.  So when we put on a record we have a list to go to to know just which buttons to press for optimal sound reproduction!  It's a blast!!!

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Tell me, Paul....you have TWO remote speakers you purchased with your HiFi, right?  Do you have the jacks in the back for both of them?  We have a jack to plug one in so that we can play back stereo from the tape deck.  I have to ask Pat if he might happen to have a spare one of these remote speakers he can part with.  I never really thought I would have the opportunity to come across one....but now seeing yours....well....I have to find one!!!   ;D

Your 944 is gorgeous, btw!!!

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
If we can help in anyway by providing brouchures and diagrams....just let us know.  We have all of the originals that came with our 866.  The original owner took SUCH good care of everything.  And our friend and technician did an AMAZING job bringing this baby back to life!

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Pat....very well put.  You are spot on with your description of Paul McCobb.  Which finish you do you have on your 866?  Ours is Sandrift.  I see you are in Kenosha.  Care to pop on down to Lincolnwood to enjoy a Paul McCobb cappuccino while sitting at a Paul McCobb table and listening to our Paul McCobb HiFi?  You are most welcome!  Dennis and Greg in Lincolnwood!  :) :)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2015, 10:44:30 PM »
I've attached the procedure for attaching the single external speaker that your console is set up for.  Just take the short cable from the console and plug it into "stereo" and plug your external speaker to the "external" position. The actual external speaker models Columbia made are AX-115, AX-125, or AX-130  I attached an image I got off line that shows one of those Columbia external speakers to the left of the console.  Sorry for the small image, but that was the size of the copied image.

My speaker set is called the "Isophonic" speakers (AX-1015).  Basically, it's two speakers with the speaker angled to give a reflected channel separation off of the surrounding walls.  That is why they are labeled "left" and "right".  The Main speakers in the console are then set as the base frequencies.  A special filter box is used to separate and direct the appropriate channel and base frequencies.  I've attached another image showing the correct set up.  I also attached an image of my speakers and the black filter box.

The entire Columbia Masterwork owners/instruction manual is available in the downloads section, along with the Bell & Howell owners/ instruction and service manual.
Paul

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2015, 10:52:10 PM »
Hi Dennis, welcome to the group! I am so glad you found us. Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful console. Mine is the exact same model and color as yours, although it will need work to be as nice as yours. Mine is a bit older as well and is labeled as a Bell & Howell, not Columbia. Pat 😀

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »
Now you guys have me listening to the HiFi all morning! 😄😄😄

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »
Thanks, Guys!  Paul....just amazing....super cool about the external speakers!!!!  Pat....drive on down sometime. We are right off of 94.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »
These are fabulous consoles indeed, and I will certainly be keeping my eye out in the future for another one!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »
Dennis, I noticed that your console is an earlier model than Pauls. It's the same as mine in that it is mono only, so the external speaker would not add as much as it does on Pauls.

I have replacement internal speakers, but unfortunately no externals. I do have extras of all of the various chassis's, faceplates, knobs, etc. and a good bit of documentation. I'd love to stop in and meet you guys and listen to that beautiful console one of these days. Pat

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »
Then just come on down, Pat!!!  You are so very welcome to!  It is SO much fun listening to our baby!!  I know that the external speaker would only add stereo on tape playback.....but it is also such a gorgeous piece of Paul McCobb furniture!!!  You will see what I am talking about when you get here.  Greg and I have amassed a very large curation of high-end Paul McCobb design pieces.  Each room in our house is full of Paul McCobb brass and white cararra glass pieces.  We would love to have you down for a visit.  Just email me, and come on down!  :)

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
Paul, I am SO very happy for you for your recent find!!!  Congratulations, and have a blast refurbishing your extremely rare, very valuable Paul McCobb HiFi!!!!!

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Thanks.  However, I cannot take any credit for finding this one.  All credit goes to Harbourmaster.  He found the Craiglist listing just up the road from his location.  The stars weren't aligned in his favor at the time; he had no room at the inn.  I did have room in my storage and Harbourmaster was nice enough to pick it up and ready it for shipment.  I just had to schedule a shipper to pick it up and send it on its way.  Kudos to Harbourmaster!  ;D
Paul