Author Topic: Playing an iPod through my Magnavox?  (Read 2491 times)

bails52

• View Profile
Playing an iPod through my Magnavox?
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread, but I've seen a couple mentions of playing digital music through a console. Can someone direct me to a website with instructions for that? Thanks!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Playing an iPod through my Magnavox?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:29:54 PM »
I do it all the time, there are a couple of methods. If your console has an extra set of RCA inputs for a tape player or aux unit plug into that. If not, get a audio/video source selector switch and use it to plug into the turntable input jacks. You can then plug the turntable and iPod into the new selector and choose between them. It's that easy.

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »
Hey Pat, I tried adding RCA cables to my tuner's aux outputs and tried a tape deck and my iPod. They both worked but required significantly more volume? Any thoughts? Also there were three rca jacks on the tuner for each aux and phono outputs. I used the same two of three as the phono. That was the first and third rca jack. Any idea why there's three??
Tom

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
When these units were made many of the available tape recorders had amplifiers in them. Because of that, the tape inputs on consoles often didn't have as many amplification stages as the phono input. On consoles configured that way I like to use a switch so I can take advantage of the higher amplification of the phono inputs.

As to the three inputs instead of two, I'd like to know the model number of your tuner or see a picture of the jacks before I speculate too much. The third set could be for a tape output, or???

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
That makes perfect sense!!

There's a pic of my tuner in my post "1962 magnavox 1st624a lives" under "magnificent magnavox" the photo is near the end of the replies. The "tape" inputs are by the yellow wire. There's 3 more jacks further back for the "tape record" inputs to the right of the dial bulb.
Tom

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
I didn't have access to my photos last night. Here's a top view of my tuner. The three "tape out" jacks are just above the yellow wire and the three "tape record" jacks are to the left, one is not visible.
Tom

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
One of those jacks might be for audio input from a TV.  The label for the jack looked like it might be "TV".  Magnavox did use their tuner chassis in consoles with a TV.  My Astrosonic 100 has a label "TV" next to an empty hole for an RCA jack.  It also has labels for remote control which are also blank holes for an RCA jack.  Makes sense they would label and drill holes for jacks that may not be used in particular models to cut down on manufacturing costs.  They would have most likely added an additional setting for "TV" to the function switch.
Ray

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
The output on Apples iPod varies slightly by exact device but ranges between 2.0 - 2.9v with 32 Ohm Impedance on all devices. Simply put the output is designed to drive headphones not an amplifier!

The output from the Dock connector is a true line out.

From these specs you can see why it is necessary to use the Phono inputs on our old Maggies to achieve a good output level.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »
Great info guys.

Ray I do have "tv" jacks they are as you mention. I may be mistaken maybe it's the far left jacks that are "tape record". It's been a few weeks since I pulled the tuner out, memory slipping.  Seems I have enough rca jacks to put a Saturn V into orbit!! The thing I can't figure is the 3 jacks to the right for phono and immediately to the left of those for "tape play". Seems there's 2 "channel 2" jacks??
Tom

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »
Tom - Does your tuner use an external multiplex adapter?  The three jacks to the left of phono might be for a multiplex adapter which would have three cables running to it.  One for multiplex out and two for multiplex in Ch 1 & 2.  Tape record would be an output jack that goes to the line input of a tape deck.

Some of the earlier Magnavox tuners had the FM Stereo on the function switch regardless of whether it had a multiplex adapter or not.
Ray

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
I guess that's a good question? No there is no separate multiplex. I do have the "FM Stereo" position on my controls but it sounds quiet and distorted while all the other positions are strong. I assumed that I have a couple more capacitors to change on the tuner board under one of the shields but haven't gotten to that yet. I have been assuming that I have the multiplex incorporated into my tuner but I don't know. Can you tell by looking at the photo?
Tom

bails52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:55:39 AM »
This would be a really great topic to document with a YouTube video. Have any of you experts considered that?