Author Topic: Magnavox Concerto (1936)  (Read 767 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Magnavox Concerto (1936)
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
I've got the amplifier and speakers from a 1936 Magnavox Concerto table model phonograph.  John Eckland's history of the company (http://www.antiqueradio.com/Sep07_Eckland_Magnavox.html) says
Magnavox made a tabletop high fidelity phonograph called the "Concerto," shown in Figures 1 and 2 (see print version). This set features a single-ended 2A3 amplifier, an Astatic B-2 crystal pickup in a straight tonearm assembly, plus a special 8-inch electro-dynamic speaker with an aluminum voice coil. The 78 rpm turntable is a governor-controlled, adjustable speed General Industries Green-Flyer. Figure 3 shows a close-up of the turntable, tone arm, and controls.

At the time, there was nothing else on the market that could compare to the performance of this phonograph. Later on, two competitors produced a phonograph of similar performance -- the RCA R-98 and the Ansley Dynaphone. Both manufacturers used amplifiers employing a pair of push-pull Type 2A3 tubes.

I have a motor board with a 3-speed motor (no platter) and the tone & volume controls on it. 

Has anybody seen or heard one of these?  I hooked a tuner up to mine one day long ago-it was  bit bassy, with lots of cone excursion, sitting without a speaker baffle.  One of these days I'll build a cabinet for it and see how it sounds in a box with a crystal cartridge.

Chris Campbell

There are any comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?