Author Topic: Zinc, cadmium plating dust  (Read 932 times)

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
Zinc, cadmium plating dust
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »
I've been working with several amps and tuners from my Magnavox consoles and noticed they all have white powder on them. I cleaned one amp with a damp rag which shined it up nice then a week later the white powder returned. I've been assuming it is zinc oxide and that the chassis were galvanized. I didn't give it much thought I try not to breathe it in and I wash my hands after handling them.

This afternoon I came across a post over at ARF that I think a couple of members here were involved with that talked about cadmium plating and yellow corrosion. I haven't come across any yellow corrosion yet but it got me thinking about the issue.

Also I know the cloth covered wires in the amps have asbestos in them so I generally leave them alone and try not to create any dust.

What are your thoughts and experiences on safety with these materials? Is the white powder just zinc oxide which is relatively benign or should we be more wary??
Tom

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Zinc, cadmium plating dust
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
I posted an interesting advertisement a while back about Magnavox plated component's. Back in the 40's the chassis's were cadmium plated. If it's a gray plate over steel you can assume it is cadmium.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »
I've worked with a lot of cad plating over the years (as an airplane mechanic). I am not afraid of it but I try to avoiding breathing it in, and wash well after handling it. I'm not aware of anyone who was ever affected by it. I'm sure my occupational exposure was far greater than any hobbyist would ever encounter.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
Very cool Pat I was a jet engine mechanic then I went to the medical device R&D then now I'm in the pharmaceutical industry.

Yes I've seen the white powder and I've seen plenty of the yellow stuff. A guy told me Murphys oil soap works.

It takes forever to clean.

David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"