Author Topic: Picked up an Imperial Console today  (Read 2675 times)

Denny4kids

• View Profile
Picked up an Imperial Console today
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »
I was at a resell store looking for parts for a project and there she was. An old beat up console. I looked it over and went home as my jeep was full and I just wasn't sure. I have always wanted to learn about tube amps so I emptied the jeep and went back ind picked it up. $21...cheap. The wood is in terrible shape so I'm just going to keep the amp and speakers. The turntable and tuner/preamp and any other hardware will be sold/given to my new friends here at this forum. If the cabinet was decent I would restore the unit.     Denny

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Picked up an Imperial Console today
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
Hi Denny, welcome to the group. I'm sure everyone would like to see some pictures.
Pat

Magnavoxland

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »
Be a good project to strip and re-stain.  I'd try that before I'd junk the cabinet.

Denny4kids

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
If I were to refinish it, the project would be put on the back burner for years. I just don't have the room for it also. My audio system now takes up too much space and I don't think I would risk my records on the old turntable. I know it hurts some to see one of these old beauty's being parted out. All the components will be put to good use and it would be great if some of the parts could be used by one of you to get your Maggie back in shape.   Denny

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
That is a good candidate for a parts unit. It is an Imperial, but a later and lesser model than the early units. Those amplifiers are excellent in all respects. The cabinet would be very difficult to restore as its made of a paneling type material. If I'm not mistaken the tops are photo finished Masonite. Units like this are common enough that if that's what a person wants they can find one in mint or near new condition pretty regularly. Pat

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Welcome!!
Tom

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:20:55 AM »
plenty of people would frown on striping it out. but they fail to realize you cant get a replacement part unless someone parts one out. I'm sure all of us have bought "spare parts" on ebay.       im still trying to find a few members a faceplate and knobs for a concert grand.

rebuilt those will sound really good!

you could make a component setup out of it. I did a few ratty astrosonic cabinets in to component systems. ill be building a tube one for myself soon from extra parts laying around.

David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"