: Silvertone 6066 built by Warwick - Chicago  ( 4601 )

Motorola Minion

• : 1270
  • Southern Pennsylvania
Silvertone 6066 built by Warwick - Chicago
« : October 14, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
Got this at a yard sale cheap but it is SUPER FILTHY! ::)

The Crescent-built record changer needs a tire, of course. :-\ but the cart and stylus seems intact.
Inside it was the hang tags, manual and even a schematic and parts list.

So Im not sure If I should clean it up and sell it as MCM with the usual disclaimer like all the  "the record player spins slow, it might need a needle" like the deluded sellers asking $500 for such items >:(
The chassis is solid state and boasts a five-year parts warranty.

The controls and switches are pretty crusty but it might just need a bath in deOxit and work like so many others do.
It plays like it looks, every transistor is socketed and Ill bet they're even dirty
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• : 2415
  • Long Beach, CA 90808
Re: Silvertone 6066 built by Warwick - Chicago
« #1 : October 14, 2015, 04:51:22 PM »
I have flipped a couple of these little Silvertone players in the last few years (tube not SS) and they aren't bad for what they are.

On the plus side they are compact so the younger kids like them for there tiny apartments or dorm rooms.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Alan Maier

• : 154
« #2 : October 19, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with that console after a good cleaning, recap and service. I had one that was very, very similar and it was respectable. Of all the store brands and cheapie brands, Sears units were typically higher grade than most and were competitive to the big name brands in their price range.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
« #3 : April 28, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »
Update: I just opened this unit up last week. It is really dirty on the outside and before I put some major effort into cleaning it up, I needed to find out what kind of issues it has.

I was able to glue the record mat on with rubber cement. The stylus and changer in general look pretty good. Based on the fact all the paperwork was inside, including a schematic and parts list which I will post in downloads, I'm guessing this console got little to no use and sat in the corner of a basement and collecting grime for years.

The real culprit for its barely working is the black iei upright electrolytics, which look like "crayon stubs.
I replaced 150uf output-to-speaker caps and 3 uf signal path caps and got reasonable volume on both channels. The FM is kind of funny and I checked voltages in the IF and discriminator stages.

Pics to follow.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
« #4 : April 29, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
The re-cap brought the amp back to life and AM sounds pretty good, even loud.
The FM is not so clear or loud, and the stereo indicator does not come on. Unfortunately only the tuner transistors are socketed :(, so that means no swapping unless I have the right one..
Maybe an IF transistor is bad because the tuner seems to receive, if not a bit hot. When you stand next to the built-in dipole weaker stations come but its kind of flaky. I just do not have any NTE 160 which is a PNP Ge. All my spare PNP transistors are silicons.

This console will be a better record player than tuner anyway. ::)

I forgot to pack my spare record changer tire this morning, so I was stopped cold after putting the chassis back in.
Once I work on the changer, I need to put on some real music and attack the horrible grime on this cabinet top  YUCK!!! >:(
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
« #5 : May 19, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
An update: This console has won and I give up. After I went through the trouble of recapping the signal paths hoping for a Magnavox-style response to this effort, I got little more than when I started.  >:(
Ran line out from a CD player into the phono input and got crappy sound - the amp is screwed.
I ran low level audio from the tape-out jack to a nearby Zenith's Tape input and the radio sounds just as bad.

It will probably require more than a few Germanium transistors to be replaced. Some seasoned techs on another forum compare aging germanium transistors to vacuum tubes losing emission. Simply replacing with silicon is not an option without redesigning other component values.

It will be donated to the local H4H. And just maybe someone will make a nice stereo by filling it with the guts of an SS Magnavox, RCA or Zenith. Even the LF speakers are 16 ohm and useless on better SS amps. At least the record changer, which took only a used Astatic 710, kind of plays OK out the Tape out jack.

My time is MUCH better spent restoring the three Magnavox SS consoles in my garage ;)

I hope this is helpful to anyone who wants to spot a Dud when its sitting at a yard sale.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

hermitcrab

• : 256
« #6 : June 25, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
Too bad it would not co-operate.... I found my Silvertone setting at the curb, was dead , found a output transistor was shorted including the bias resistor was fried, did the usual servicing on it including a few caps and turntable wheel etc.... I have got to say out of the sets I have , it is my favorite when it comes to sound, it has either the 80 or the 100 watt amp, I forget which , but you sure can tell the difference from my 30 astrosonic or my single ended Tube zenith which is probably 10 watts.... it will shake the house down...lol.
Elton