: New member, just got a Truetone  ( 6626 )

veg-o-matic

• : 9
    • The Fondue
New member, just got a Truetone
« : October 26, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Good morning!
I just discovered this site the other day while researching my "new" console.
So I visited this console at the Rescue Mission Thrift for a couple of weeks before deciding to bite the bullet and buy it.  I was worried that it might not fit where I needed to put it, and then I noticed that the speaker cloth was "caved in" over one of the speakers.  I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with that, but it looks like I tall-talked myself into it!
Anyway, we tried it out in the store and it played. Beautifully.  The changer gets hung up during part of the change cycle, but it's no biggie.  I think it's an Admiral changer but I'm not sure.  Radio works fine.  The cabinet is in good shape, with a few little dings on the top.  Again, not a big deal for a 49-year-old console. Nothing a little paste wax won't cure. 
So it's a Truetone model 4DC5665A in walnut.  I found this in my Western Auto Spring/Summer 1966 catalog.  Don't have a scan of the page but I can make one of anyone cares.
Does anyone know who made these for Western Auto?  And what's a good source for a new idler wheel?
Thanks for your help--I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts!

Consoleman

• : 704
  • Southeastern PA
Re: New member, just got a Truetone
« #1 : October 26, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »
Welcome! Gary Stork at http://thevoiceofmusic.com/ might have an idler for you. I'm sure everyone would like a look at that catalog as well.
Mark

HiFiFun

• : 169
« #2 : October 26, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
Also welcome from another new member,

Your model comes up in Sams Photofact in Set 816/ Folder 9,  published 05/66.
From what I was told about my 1950's Truetone hi-fi's, they were made by Detrola, maybe yours was, too.

The record changer is referenced to Sams Set 671/ Folder 10, which reveals the manufacturer to be
Ensign.  Not familiar with the changer, maybe some others will know it.

Can you pull the changer out and take a photo of the underside ?  Also, can you pull the platter and
shoot the topside of the changer ?  Should be more model # info on the changer.

Your style of changer is a bit different than the photo in the Sams 671/10 file, so I'm not sure if its a variant of the same one.
When I see that 45 adapter and the dual control knobs, the changer is starting to
look like a Voice of Music-made one. But, with the photo of the underneath,
we'll know for sure.

Yeah, is that catalogue all music stuff ?  Would be cool to scan and put in our downloads section !

HiFiFun

veg-o-matic

• The Fondue
« #3 : October 27, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »

Can you pull the changer out and take a photo of the underside ?  Also, can you pull the platter and
shoot the topside of the changer ?  Should be more model # info on the changer.

Your style of changer is a bit different than the photo in the Sams 671/10 file, so I'm not sure if its a variant of the same one.
When I see that 45 adapter and the dual control knobs, the changer is starting to
look like a Voice of Music-made one. But, with the photo of the underneath,
we'll know for sure.

I can do that!  In fact, I've already pulled (though not disconnected) the changer so I could grease the underside--what I thought needed greasing, anyway.  Something I find interesting is that the function knob is turned counter-clockwise to go from Off to On to Reject.  I think every other changer I've seen the knob turns clockwise.  Not that I have that much experience, mind you.

Yeah, is that catalogue all music stuff ?  Would be cool to scan and put in our downloads section !
No, far from it.  It's the regular Western Auto catalog, which means it has a little bit of everything from electronics to furniture to auto parts to tractors to plumbing to jewelry.  Naturally, my console is in the little picture right near the gutter, so it's not going to scan very well...

veg-o-matic

• The Fondue
« #4 : October 28, 2015, 09:23:57 AM »
As promised, here are the pics.  Please excuse the quality--shaky old man hands.
I didn't think to get a good picture of the label but can do that if it will help.
veg

HiFiFun

• : 169
« #5 : October 28, 2015, 11:48:35 PM »
Great photos !
From looking at the Sams photofact and your photo, your changer is made by Ensign.
The Voice of Music lists 2 idlers that fit Ensign brand record changers.
If the label underneath is legible, that might be all Gary needs to ID your idler.

Your changer's  speed/on/off controls are the only difference I can see.
The changer referenced from the Sams has both controls on the right side of the base.
Yours are on separate sides of the changer base.

I remember Western Auto well. They sold EVERYTHING. I have 2 small Truetone
hi-fi's from 1955 and 1957. They sound amazing, considering their size.

Lorenz

Magnavoxland

« #6 : October 29, 2015, 12:30:10 AM »
That's a nice Truetone console, marketed by Western Auto.  I used to collect 1930s Truetone radios, and I had the best collection of Detrola-made Truetone tabletop radios in the country.  I even had a website about my collection.

Welcome to our forums to both of you.

veg-o-matic

• The Fondue
« #7 : October 30, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
While I'm here, I've got another question.  I believe the console has input jacks on the back for a tape recorder.  Is it possible to use those jacks to connect a CD or MP3 player?  Without having to do any modifications, I mean ;D

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
« #8 : October 30, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
Yes that should work fine.
Mark

veg-o-matic

• The Fondue
« #9 : November 03, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
Well, I found my old iPod, connected it up to the tape jacks and it worked great!  Now all I have to do is find a Discman at the Goodwill or something and I'll be set.

Nowhere's a question for youall:  I think I want to get the changer restored but I don't know who does that kind of work.  I tried one place I found on the Internet that said they restore changers from "Admiral to Zenith" but was told they don't work on mine.  :o  Thevoiceofmusic.com seems, naturally enough, to only do V-M changers.  Does anyone know anyone reliable who can restore my changer?  There are two problems with it: It "hangs" mid-cycle when changing a record.  If I move the turntable by hand, it will finish the cycle. And it will not push the next record off the spindle and onto the platter.
Thanks!

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
« #10 : November 03, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »
If you put your location in your profile it would help.
Mark

veg-o-matic

• The Fondue
« #11 : November 03, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
If you put your location in your profile it would help.

Done! 

Baltimore MD

Ken Doyle

• : 141
« #12 : January 02, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
That is indeed an Admiral record changer.  Ensign was a name used by Admiral.

Ken D.