: Sylvania?  ( 2921 )

chazglenn3

• : 328
Sylvania?
« : September 01, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »
Are the mid 60's Sylvania consoles any good?  I might go pick one up, but it's a drive and if they are not good I might not bother.
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
Re: Sylvania?
« #1 : September 01, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
Sylvania as a brand is probably as good as anything else.  We need more information to give better advice.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

chazglenn3

« #2 : September 01, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »
Nevermind. It sold last night. And to make matters worse, I missed out on a 1963 Astro Sonic 100 for free!  Unless the guy no-shows which I doubt.
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
« #3 : September 01, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »
I hate when that happens!  Sorry for your loss.   ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

chazglenn3

« #4 : September 03, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Found a different Sylvania today and decided to go for it. Not quite free, but only $25.  It is a 1966 SC189P model with a Dual 1010 turntable in it. The front has what I'll call hideous yellow grill cloth across the entire front of the console. Looks like it was red when new. I'll probably dye it black or something if I get to that point with it. I'm not sure if it works. Waiting for my friend with the truck to get home. The specs in the manual seems okay for it. The speakers are a bit small with the woofers being 10".
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• : 2816
« #5 : September 03, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
Don't dismiss the 10" speakers.  According to your spec sheet, they're in an acoustic suspension enclosure.  That's less efficient than an unsealed enclosure but easier to get good response.  It was an invention of Edgar Villchur, who joined with Henry Kloss to form Acoustic Research, selling famous acoustic suspension speakers.  Kloss later left to form KLH (he's the K), another very famous company in its heyday.  My first real hi-fi speakers were a pair of KLH Model 17s.  Still have them.

Chris Campbell

SeniorSteve

• : 197
« #6 : September 04, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »
If you want more information on it, go to   www.vintagesylvania.net  Looking at the site what you're getting is a 1966 model that was mid level with an upgraded changer and medium power amplifier.  They used a Garrard changer on the lower tier levels, then the Dual 1010 for the mid line, and at the top level a Dual 1019.  For $25.00 I think you got a pretty good deal.  Grill cloth can always be changed.  One of the biggest things that will determine price is the cabinet style.  I tried looking up the schematic, bit so far have not been successful.  Chassis is R14-5.  The changer is worth more than what you paid and this model used a Pickering magnetic cartridge which tends to be able to track at lower levels.

Steve

chazglenn3

« #7 : September 05, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »
I got the console home late last night and just put it in the garage and went to bed. It certainly needs a good cleaning, so I'll start there.
Charles
USAF Veteran

Motorola Minion

• : 1270
  • Southern Pennsylvania
« #8 : September 06, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
Congratulations. That was a steal considering the quality level. I worked on a much cheaper model with the Garrard changer and integrated amp-tuner. It was not hard to restore but I can only imagine how much better one of these expensive models would sound.

That Dual record changer is easy to work on. The biggest issue with Dual is the cartridge connectors. They are crimped, not soldered to the short wires and the tone arm wires. Copper strands laid into crimped silver plated contacts lose continuity over time, and you will swear its a bad contact connection as you fuss with the locking head-shell.

The cure is to get very surgical and solder all 12 connections using a 25 watt pencil-type iron. I've done it once - problem solved!

I have much experience with Dual, own three consoles with 1010's (one Grundig KS 590-tubes, Sylvania SC919 and one Fisher D-692 both SS) and see a lot of stuff online regarding these head shells. 

A lot of great electronics was sold in trendy furniture styles, most of which are not desirable today. I too have a Sylvania of this quality level that I have yet to dive into, but I'm looking forward to it, GTE knew a few things about electronics!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

chazglenn3

« #9 : September 06, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
Well, I'm certainly glad I went ahead and decided to pick it up. I was afraid that it was going to be a turd  :)  Upon actually looking it over, I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot of the original paperwork inside the record well. Most of the grime also appears to just be on the surface and might clean easily. Chris, Steve and Dave thank you all for your insights!
Charles
USAF Veteran