: Westinghouse V-M changer  ( 1980 )

Motorola Minion

• : 1264
  • Southern Pennsylvania
Westinghouse V-M changer
« : April 18, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
I pulled this changer out to give it a quick check, as I will not be selling this console unless a more expensive Westy shows up...

The motor is like a VM I had in a Philco, pictured - which had the two-tread idler pulley. This tire is pretty dry and makes noise but it is not slipping. Its a big investment to have a rebuild, so that has to wait.

The funny thing I noted was that this VM does NOT have the caged ball platter bearing, instead just a washer and small conical race.

An other issue is the Sonotone 16t cartridge, which does not sound good even with a new stylus. Is it common for the compliance to harden on these? it looks shriveled
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• : 2786
Re: Westinghouse V-M changer
« #1 : April 18, 2019, 07:10:04 PM »
So the stepped motor spindle drives the large-diameter end of the idler wheel, and the small-diameter end drives the platter rim?  That's an interesting design because then the two diameters have to maintain the same ratio to avoid speed disturbance.  The standard, single-diameter idler can be any size, with out affecting speed, which is why I recommend sanding glazed ones to make a temporary fix.  I'd be more careful with the two-diameter version.

Have you tried the Sonotone with another amp to see how it sounds there?  Or tried running another source of more or less the same out put int the input to see how the amp sounds?  It's a simple test.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
« #2 : April 18, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
I haven't seen that type of drive on a VM. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

HiFiFun

• : 169
« #3 : April 18, 2019, 11:32:20 PM »
I've never seen a V-M 1200 series changer without
a ball bearing race.
Maybe you can ask Gary over at V of M what he thinks.

The two tier idler is very common in the 1950's to early 1960's
V-M 1200 series changers.

Re: the 16T cart, the stylus rubber saddle can definitely harden over time.
I've rarely gotten a V-M changer with the 8-T, for example, that had
not lost all compliance and/or one stereo channel function.

Hotwax

Bill

• : 2021
« #4 : April 19, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
If I remember correctly the RCA 45 players use a 2 tier tire.  I hope I am remembering that correctly.  I'm old you know!  ;)

Bill

Motorola Minion

• : 1264
  • Southern Pennsylvania
« #5 : April 19, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
Bill,  I am pretty sure those 45 players used something like  that. I have one at home, so I need to look.

mythe picture. I did rough it up with 220 grit, the IPA. It seems to play OK just slowing down of course, when the cycle starts.  I will look at the Sams for the record changer to see what bearing it should have.

The Sonotone cart probably is bad, as it sounded similar to the RCA I just worked on. When I drop this player back in the Westinghouse, I don't expect it to sound better. It will be easy to fit a different cartridge into this player versus the RCA.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• : 2021
« #6 : April 19, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »
I could take my RCA player apart as well and check.  I need to order a new idler for mine.  It runs fast.  When I play a record with singing, they all sound like the Chipmunks.   ;) ;) ;)

Bill