: RCA RP218 record player runs slow  ( 1022 )

morganp3205

• : 12
RCA RP218 record player runs slow
« : November 20, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
I've got an RCA RP218 that consistency runs just over 30 RPM on 331/3 Setting. Motor has been thoroughly cleaned and lubed and the main idler wheel and the ones for each speed have been replaced. Is there any other way to adjust the speed?

TC Chris

• : 2786
Re: RCA RP218 record player runs slow
« #1 : November 20, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »
I had (and as an old hoarder, still have) an old Garrard RC-80 changer that ran fast.  I was guessing that the motor was designed for 50 cycle AC.  No idea why yours would run consistently slow.  Maybe somebody filed down the motor capstan?  Its diameter does matter.  The diameter of the idler wheel doesn't matter--it will work at any size--but the capstan and the turntable diameter must be right.

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

• : 252
« #2 : November 21, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
Jordan Pier on YT. fixed a slow playing changer by building up the capstan with JB weld and then filing it down until he was close on the speed...
Elton

TC Chris

• : 2786
« #3 : November 21, 2019, 06:59:19 PM »
Wow, great idea.  I was going to recommend some capstan build-up but all I could think of was tape, and that would introduce a bump.

I don't have a metal lathe  but for small projects like this I have chucked things into my drill press and filed away.  You could chuck the rotor in easily.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• : 2415
  • Long Beach, CA 90808
« #4 : November 21, 2019, 08:42:57 PM »
Please describe what you did to "Thoroughly" clean the motor.  It sounds like it's not coming up to full speed.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• : 1264
  • Southern Pennsylvania
« #5 : November 24, 2019, 07:56:42 AM »
The capstan contacts only part of the idler rim, which is beveled away from it.

The RP218 I just worked on needed the motor "pillow" bearings soaked in Zoom Spout oil by Supco. Changing the motor or parts to get bearing/shaft fit that allows for the least operating friction.

I used to use 3 in 1 and other sewing machine oils or even WD40 but there is not substitute if you want it to run at design speed.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

HiFiFun

• : 169
« #6 : November 24, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
Here's some other thoughts.

1. Have you replaced the rubber motor mounts ?

2. Were the motor frame spacers re-installed correctly ?
As I remember, the concave side goes oriented up.

3. If this is an Alliance motor, dis-assemble motor
from frame. Then soak the motor bearing housings
in an organic solvent x 24 to 48 hours.
This to remove the old oil from the felt reservoirs.
Let bearings air dry x 24 hrs, and re-lube reservoirs
with Zoom Spout turbine oil.

HFF

Ken Doyle

• : 141
« #7 : January 06, 2020, 10:17:07 AM »
Does the motor spin for a while when you kill the power?  The motor has to spin very freely and should take it's time coasting down. 

If not, when re-assembling the motor, before you tighten the screws, tap the motor shaft with a screwdriver handle a few times.  This will properly line up the bearings.