: Anyone remember E.J.Korvettes Hi-Fi room?  ( 7251 )

Bill

• : 2076
Re: Anyone remember E.J.Korvettes Hi-Fi room?
« #45 : April 24, 2020, 06:56:28 AM »
OK, It morning and I guess I'm not awake yet.  :-[ :(  There is a transformer out there for $1.95?  Where can I find said transformer?  I would love to get this radio finished.

Thank you,
Bill

TC Chris

• : 2841
« #46 : April 24, 2020, 03:15:58 PM »
Look at Reply No. 41, above.

Chris Campbell

Bill

« #47 : April 24, 2020, 07:46:26 PM »
I guess it was early.  Sorry Chris!  :-[ :-[

Bill

firedome

• : 583
Anyone remember E.J.Korvettes Hi-Fi room?
« #48 : June 10, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
Post #35 I believe was our friend Ed's last post on the site, I think he died less than 2 weeks later. RIP friend.

I don't recall Hi-Fi rooms in any of the "fancy" department stores in Baltimore, Hutzler's, Stewarts, Hocschild Kohn or Hecht's.
But Hutzler's, Baltimore's best Dept store, did sell some nice AMC brand (a dept store buying consortium) consoles in their furniture/TV department.
I assume the other stores did too. E.J Korvettes was slightly downscale from those stores, but itmay be that they went further in that area of sales being based in the NYC area which was the center of the audio world at the time.

Do any of you remember the HiFi/stereo marketing efforts by the Dept stores in your area?
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

TC Chris

• : 2841
« #49 : June 10, 2021, 08:20:06 PM »
Yeah, back in the late '60s a local "discount store" chain--Arlan's?--let out some floor space to a hi-fi dealer.  A local guy who was a drug "detail man"--a manufacturer's rep of sorts to doctors and pharmacies--hired me to help him make some deliveries.  Looking back from years later, I'm pretty sure this was some sort of nefarious dealing.  All I know for sure is that on the way home he wanted me to help him buy a stereo so we stopped at that place.  He got a tube Sherwood receiver, some speakers, and  mid-level Garrard changer.  The story his wife was supposed to hear was that the doc gave him the system.  He paid cash with some of the cash the doc handed him.  The rural doc had a back room filled with bowls of pills of every description.

Now the old Sherwoods are revered for their good engineering and performance, especially in RF aspects.  The guy died early, one of those high-school football heroes whose life peaked in HS.  I always wonder what happened to that nice Sherwood.

Chris Campbell

Bill

« #50 : June 11, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
You are correct Roger, Ed passed April 22, 2020 at the age of 65.  I miss his comments here on the forum, and I miss talking to him on the phone.  He was a good man, always willing to help anyone in need.   

Bill

firedome

« #51 : June 11, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »
I recall Sherwood was high quality audio mfr that sort of always was in the shadow of Fisher, Scott etc but was consistently rated a "Best Buy" by Consumer Reports in the '60s.

Yes Ed was super about helping anyone with technical information, and far more knowledgeable than I. I'd hoped to meet him one day in person as we grew up only a few miles apart and at the same time period, but we never knew each other as I'd been to public schools and he to Catholic. We'd even haunted many of the same audio spots, as mentioned earlier in this and some other posts, particularly a great electronics parts store in our town, Baynesville Electronics. We'd have had much to talk about. 

firedome

« #52 : June 22, 2021, 02:09:57 PM »
Did anyone ever have any communication with Ed's siblings, I believe he had a sister still living in the area that he grew up in?

Bill

« #53 : June 23, 2021, 05:31:56 AM »
Roger!   He did have a sister, and several elderly aunts that he mentioned often.  I went on the funeral home site and wrote a note in their provided sympathy link but it did not publish.  Not sure why, unless there is a time limit but then I would think the obit would be gone?  Ed was always referring to this family person or that so I think he had lots of relatives.  I still think of him often and miss him on the forum. 

Bill