: Magnavox Changer Help  ( 933 )

CameronICT

• : 8
Magnavox Changer Help
« : January 31, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »
Hello from Wichita, KS! I originally posted int the Magnavox thread and was redirected over here, so here we go. I recently aquired a beautiful Astro Sonic (1968 Model 3822) in very clean condition. The only issue I am having so far is with the turntable platter not spinning. It has the W802 unit. I have downloaded the service manual for it, but need some experience to help me figure it out. The motor is turning, but the idler wheel is not contacting the motor pully. I feel like a spring may be missing, but cannot tell from the schematics. Should there be a spring from the idler arm assembly to pull it toward the motor? Pics for reference. Please let me know if more are needed. Thanks in advance from a new Astro-Sonic owner.

CameronICT

Re: Magnavox Changer Help
« #1 : January 31, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »
More pics

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
« #2 : January 31, 2020, 04:28:26 PM »
The drive tire may not contact the motor shaft with the platter removed.  Most likely the problem is that the drive tire has become hard and slick.  The common procedure is to replace the motor mounts and have the drive tire rebuilt.  These two things should be done before you attempt to troubleshoot.  When the changer is off, the drive tire is designed to pull away from the platter so it won't flat spot.  Gary at VM enthusiasts should have the parts you need.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• : 2055
« #3 : January 31, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »
Even though your motor is working it's a good idea, especially since you have it apart, to take it apart and do the typical motor service. 

Bill

CameronICT

« #4 : January 31, 2020, 09:22:01 PM »
I took the unit to Rebooted Electronics here in Wichita on a friends suggestion. The tech said it probably just needed cleaned and lubed. Since I downloaded the schematics and I am a hands-on guy I brought it home and dug in. After a quick clean and lube of the idler arm the idler and platter started working properly. The next problem to rear its head is the tone arm. When I flip it to auto, the arm rises, travels across to the center and then reverses and returns to the rest without dropping. Suggestions for solving this? I plan on resuming my cleaning and lubing tomorrow- any specific components I need to focus on?

The stylus was broken when I brought it home and the shop did not have the correct replacement so the internet came through and I will have some time to get it running correctly while awaiting its arrival. Thanks for the advice!

SeniorSteve

• : 197
« #5 : February 01, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
When you say the tone arm "travels to the center" is this at the time it is sensing the record size?  In order for the automatic function to work you must have a record waiting to drop, it needs to feel the "edge" of the record.  If the tone arm doesn't sense a record on the spindle shelf, it shuts off.  Those changers are quite good and easy on records.  I hope I'm reading your comment correctly.

electra225

• Global Moderator
« #6 : February 01, 2020, 12:23:34 PM »
Why didn't Rebooted Electronics service the changer?

TC Chris

• : 2816
« #7 : February 01, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
My question was the opposite--why would you let somebody else service a changer when you can probably do a better job yourself?  It's mostly a matter of being careful and thorough.  My own time is free (cheap hourly rates!) and the charge os mostly for time, and a bit for knowledge.  And when you do it yourself, you're gaining knowledge.

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• : 141
« #8 : February 01, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
In order for the automatic function to work you must have a record waiting to drop, it needs to feel the "edge" of the record.  If the tone arm doesn't sense a record on the spindle shelf, it shuts off.

That's how I read it, sounds like the problem is user error. 

See the "operating instuctions" on page 2 here:
http://vintagehifi.net/index.php?action=dldir;sa=details;lid=126

electra225

• Global Moderator
« #9 : February 01, 2020, 06:31:53 PM »
My question was why did not the "professional" shop service a device someone had brought in for repair.  Did they not know what they were doing?  Did they not want to fool with it?  Or did the OP not want to pay what they asked to do the job.  I agree, doing it yourself would be the preferable way, especially for the folks on this forum.  My understanding was that the OP didn't know what the problem was, so he took the changer in for service.

CameronICT

« #10 : February 02, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »
Why didn't Rebooted Electronics service the changer?

They offered to for a modest bench fee of $55. While not much, I have always been a hands on guy and prefer to do it myself. And I only paid $40 for the unit and did not want to invest more than the purchase price yet.

Bill

• : 2055
« #11 : February 02, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
I'm glad to hear you are doing it yourself.  Did you have a record in place as the changer cycled?  If not, the changer would do what Steve said it would do, and that is, shut off.

Bill

CameronICT

« #12 : February 02, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »
I'm glad to hear you are doing it yourself.  Did you have a record in place as the changer cycled?  If not, the changer would do what Steve said it would do, and that is, shut off.

Bill

I did not, i did not think about the older technology being "smart" like that. I have a junk record that was on it when I brought it home. I will test it with that on there. Thank you for all your tips, suggestions, and knowledge.