: RCA portable  ( 416 )

TC Chris

• : 2786
RCA portable
« : April 20, 2020, 11:00:51 PM »
In the restoration of my little RCA 9-EMP-21H, all one tube of it, it seems that the cartridge is dead so I've been corresponding with Gary Stork about making one of his EV carts fit.  But what really surprised me is that the idler wheel rubber is still soft and functional.  I relubed the speed-change pivots and the turntable spindle and added a bit of oil to the motor bearing housings, but none of them really needed it.  That's all a bit surprising in a device that's over 60 years old.  There is a bit of a flat spot on the idler because the system doesn't have a formal neutral position (and as a kid I would not have understood why there was one, anyway).  You can slide the lever between speeds just so to get a neutral, which I am doing now.  Maybe the bump will work its way out.  Maybe not.  This is not hi-fi anyway (although the sticker assures me that it has "Golden Throat" sound).  One tube, crystal cartridge, and a 4" speaker... Golden?

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• : 1264
  • Southern Pennsylvania
Re: RCA portable
« #1 : April 22, 2020, 07:46:06 AM »
My first portable was a GE swinger, portable clamshell case 2x3.5 speaker. The amp was a single transistor, and if I was not misssing something, a printed circuit assembly that had one part number. It held into the case by the volume control. And with my additions of speakers (from radios demolished), that amp had checked out. I was able to order another amp for a forgotten but then-affordable sum, by taking a part to a local appliance dealer who sold GE appliances.

That '73 portable was a step up from my transistor radios at least. Its funny how few GE phonos I have seen compared to others, many dealers had GE as a sideline but the audio seemed to be found at so many must have been sold and their changer had roots in Glaser-Steers.

Surprisingly, I have about 6 of the carts that this GE used, they were boxcars like the EV 150 and usee a similar stylus, with a high output more like a crystal than a ceramic. If you cant find something, Ill see if theyre good and drop one in the mail.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• : 2786
Re: RCA portable
« #2 : April 22, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
Thanks for the cart offer.  I've ordered up an EV turnover version that I may be able to adapt to replace the Astatic.  We'll see if that works out....

Chris Campbell