: Trying to understand knob selection  ( 721 )

Hydrolastic

• : 28
Trying to understand knob selection
« : May 01, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »
1960 2ST208L This is the twin to the late 1959 1ST208F. I wanted to use it as an external speaker and i still might.  One difference is this confusing knob and the positions. Would like some clarification if you can make sense of these positions let me know what you think how it would be set up.

Hydrolastic

Re: Trying to understand knob selection
« #1 : October 10, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
I never have figured this out. What do these switch positions do? Is there a explanation in the owners manual?  Glad to see the site is back up!

Bill

• : 2076
« #2 : October 11, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
All I know is that it controls the speakers.  Do you have a owners manual?  It should explain it there.  None of my Magnavox stuff has a switch like that so I'm not sure what does what, I just know it controls the speakers.  Does anyone know for sure what gets turned on and off with the different positions?  Help please!

Bill

TJ

• : 338
« #3 : October 11, 2020, 09:10:22 AM »
They correspond to the external speaker connectors on the back of the console.  If you have a bi-amped amp, there will be 3 terminals per channel and you would need bi-amped speakers if you wanted to do external speakers. 

My Consoles:
1962 Motorola SK112CW-FM, All original tubes
1958 Magnavox Continental - DIY Concert Grand!
1957 Magnavox Brittany - Amp 148 Magic!

Bill

« #4 : October 11, 2020, 12:13:21 PM »
Thanks TJ, I hope that helps him.

Bill

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
« #5 : October 11, 2020, 05:21:00 PM »
Position E is for console speakers only

Position D is for external speakers and console at the same time

Postion C is for external speakers only

Position B is for using the entire console as one channel, typically channel 2.  You need another whole console for channel one

Position A is for all the above at the same time.

You're not supposed to actually UNDERSTAND this.  It's a Magnificent Magnavox........
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

« #6 : October 12, 2020, 08:16:29 AM »
I'm confused, but that's normal for me.

Bill

Hydrolastic

« #7 : October 14, 2020, 06:10:43 PM »
Thank you, it makes more sense now. Related to this is when is stereo in action?  it sounds to my ears that its in stereo on D and E   C is the console speakers are off (no noise).  A and B both speakers play but i think its in mono. Thanks again. Hydro 

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
« #8 : October 14, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »
That would be basically correct.  Output would be mono in A and B modes.  You would be using the console as one channel.  If you look on the back at the external speaker connections, there should be a connection saying something like "Channel 2" or something like that.  You would use that in A or B mode along with another complete console, set similarly, if you wanted stereo. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.