: Speaker/Horn conversion  ( 744 )

Hydrolastic

• : 28
Speaker/Horn conversion
« : October 24, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
Hello people,
I need to repair or replace the smaller speakers in the ST208.
Is it possible to use the 10

Hydrolastic

Re: Speaker/Horn conversion
« #1 : October 30, 2020, 09:42:21 PM »
Hello people, computer is up again so sorry for the cryptic first post but i tried that with my phone and only a portion of it posted. Anyway on with the project. I wish i had more knowledge of what i am trying to do but i want to put a set of the later astro-sonic horns in my 59 st208 with the 175 - 185 Amp. The horns will replace the oval and round tweeters.  I purchased a couple of sets with the crossovers from eBay.  First set is 1968 astrosonic and the other set is imperial here is a photo of the speakers. I can get them mounted but i am wondering about the crossovers and if there is any modification needed to get the horns hooked up to a tube amp? Aaron 

TC Chris

• : 2841
Re: Speaker/Horn conversion
« #2 : October 30, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »
Magnavox crossovers on non-biamped consoles were just blocking capacitors to the tweeters, weren't they?  I would guess that whatever cap they chose for the horns was intended to keep the horns operating within the right frequency range.  So I would start with whatever value capacitor was originally used with the horns.  Then do some listening and see if it sounds good.

Chris Campbell

Hydrolastic

Speaker/Horn conversion
« #3 : January 11, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »
Hello. So i did the horn conversion and i have to say i was not impressed it didn't sound that great. I don't know why, i could have had the wiring in incorrectly i was just guessing on the crossovers  but it looked correct at the time. Anyways its been a while since then and i have the unit back at the shop.( another reason ) This is also a test to see if this will post even though i only see a blank button on the page. Hydro

Bill

• : 2076
Speaker/Horn conversion
« #4 : January 11, 2021, 07:52:18 PM »
Your post did work, and for now I guess we just get blank squares to click on.
Bill