: Bing Crosby  ( 1213 )

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
Bing Crosby
« : October 31, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
I found a CD somebody besides me recorded with a Bing Crosby record.  Non-stereo by the sound of it.  I'm guessing 1955-1957 or so by the "hi-fi" sound.  I'm not a huge Bing Crosby fan.  I don't have a note of his that I know of besides this CD that I got at an auction.  Somebody wrote "Bing Crosby with Bob Crosby and the Bobcats" on the CD.  Okay.  I'm assuming Bob Crosby is related to Bing, and that Bob was a trumpet player.  Not a bad band, really.  I guess I could Google it, but live conversation is better........

I packed up this box of unknown CD's to "explore' this winter.  Who knows what I'll find.  I got these CD's at an auction, along with a big stack of records.  The recording quality is not that good.  Whoever recorded this didn't know anything about noise reduction.  Au Naturale, if you will, pop and click still there.  There is a "ditch" in one song, so they must have used a fairly competent reproduction device or the needle would have skipped. 

I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

walyfd

• : 526
Re: Bing Crosby
« #1 : October 31, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »
Bob was bing's brother and had an orchestra.

electra225

• Global Moderator
« #2 : October 31, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »
Thanks.  I sure wasn't familiar with Bob Crosby.

TC Chris

• : 2786
« #3 : October 31, 2020, 06:23:38 PM »
And it seems to me that Bob was a jazzier guy, not quite so smooth & mellow as Bing. Bing was always a bit too polished and polite for my taste.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• Global Moderator
« #4 : November 01, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
Don't I remember Gary Crosby, Bing's son, playing on Adam-12 or something?  And don't I remember a story that Bing was not a nice guy sometimes?  Many of those stories are just sniping.  I don't know why I don't have more of Bing Crosby's material.  Bob Crosby and the Bobcats sound Dixieland-ish to me.  I don't know if they ever recorded in stereo. 

19and41

• : 685
Bing Crosby
« #5 : February 10, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
Gary did a few guest shots on Adam-12 and an unsold pilot Webb tried to spin off from Emergency!  Another son did a guest spot on Ed Sullivan (not bad either)  Go on YouTube and look up "Big Noise From Winnetka" and "Yancey Special", two popular Bob Crosby tunes.  Bob Crosby, like Red Nichols, was primarily dixieland oriented.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

Bing Crosby
« #6 : February 10, 2021, 10:55:01 PM »
Somebody gave my Mom a set of Ed Sullivan DVDs.  It was fun to watch the old shows.  No wonder they called them "variety shows."  There was a little bit of everything, and Ed was good about presenting new groups, minority performers, etc.  Most shows would have at least one thing for each age group. Now we're all fragmented, watching only the things we like on little narrow outlets.

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• : 141
« #7 : March 14, 2021, 09:27:18 AM »
Don't I remember Gary Crosby, Bing's son, playing on Adam-12 or something?  And don't I remember a story that Bing was not a nice guy sometimes?  Many of those stories are just sniping.  I don't know why I don't have more of Bing Crosby's material.  Bob Crosby and the Bobcats sound Dixieland-ish to me.  I don't know if they ever recorded in stereo.

Bob Crosby sounds quite a bit like Bing when he sings.  Bob replaced Phil Harris as the bandleader on the Jack Benny program in 1951.  As with many big-bands, the Bob Crosby orchestra also performed as a smaller combo called The Bobcats, just as Tommy Dorsey had his Clambake Seven, Goodman had his trio / quartet / sextets.  Bing's son Gary was a talentless prick, so it may be best to ignore what he said about his dad.

TC Chris

« #8 : March 14, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
  Bing's son Gary was a talentless prick, so it may be best to ignore what he said about his dad.

I've always felt sorry for kids of famous people--politicians, artists, celebrities. If they go into the parent's line of work, they are judged by a higher standard than if the rest of us tried the same thing.  If they follow their own interests, they tend to be viewed as spoiled privileged kids.  That said, it doesn't excuse being a bad person.

My Dad didn't move back to the small town he grew up in and where his parents were fairly well known.  He settled in about a hundred miles away.  Still in Michigan, mind you, and near the water, but where he could be known as his own person and not as Howard Campbell's son.  It also pleased my mother, who would not be known as Jean Campbell's daughter in law.  All of Dad's sons set off on their own, too, even if we are all settled in different states along the 45th parallel.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• Global Moderator
Bing Crosby
« #9 : March 14, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »
People can be talented and be famous for whatever.  Singer, athlete, race car driver, actor, businessperson.  They are known and appreciated for their contribution to society, but may have personal traits that we find objectionable.  We are seeing some of this currently with the cancel culture.  I always figured they had the right to be human, but also deserved the benefit of the doubt, lest the one of us that is perfect may cast the first stone.  I always figured there was some sour grapes involved as well.