: Motorola SK52W  ( 1435 )

firedome

• : 551
Motorola SK52W
« #15 : January 14, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »
Nice work Trevor, well worth the effort. Every Moto I've ever heard sounded excellent. I also way prefer their lift-up lid to the sliding type, which look cheapo to me, one feature of Maggies that I never cared for. Even my semi-BOL Dumonth has a very nice cabinet and liftup lid. it's frustrating not to be able to post any pics!

Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

firedome

• : 551
Motorola SK52W
« #16 : January 14, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
Nice work Trevor, well worth the effort. Every Moto I've ever heard sounded excellent. I also way prefer their lift-up lid to the sliding type, which look cheapo to me, one feature of Maggies that I never cared for. Even my semi-BOL Dumont has a very nice cabinet and liftup lid. it's frustrating not to be able to post any pics!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

TJ

• : 337
Motorola SK52W
« #17 : January 14, 2021, 07:03:43 PM »
Nice work Trevor, well worth the effort. Every Moto I've ever heard sounded excellent. I also way prefer their lift-up lid to the sliding type, which look cheapo to me, one feature of Maggies that I never cared for. Even my semi-BOL Dumonth has a very nice cabinet and liftup lid. it's frustrating not to be able to post any pics!

Thanks!

I agree, I've never cared for consoles that had sliding lids, except for the Maggies that have the sliding glass lids like my Continental, the glass lids give it a more high end feel.

Right now I have the 52 playing the Piano Bar playlist from Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/piano-bar/pl.fc0d9d21c13c46149110dfd8dd844896 I like this play list as is has a lot up upright bass, piano, and high hat, so you get to listen to the entire spectrum that the console can play.  The 52 is really nailing the high hat hits, they are crisp and clear, the piano rings through, and the woofer handle the upright bass like a champ!  On instrumentals like this, I like to set the vibrasonic to 2 to 3, that little bit of reverb gives instrumental music a nice touch.

This will be a hard one to sell, but, if it is the close friend that buys it, I will still get to see it and enjoy it.
My Consoles:
1962 Motorola SK112CW-FM, All original tubes
1958 Magnavox Continental - DIY Concert Grand!
1957 Magnavox Brittany - Amp 148 Magic!

Bill

• : 2021
Re: Motorola SK52W
« #18 : January 15, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »
I too agree with the sliding top thing.  The glass tops, like my Berkshire, make it more high-end but leave you no place to put things.

I just checked out the Apple Music.  The piano bar has some really good music, and artist that I really like.  Errol Garner's "Misty" is one of my favorite arrangements of all times.  And one of my favorite songs of all times is "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square."  Marion McPartland did her arrangement on Piano Bar.  That song played by the right organist on a Theater Pipe Organ is one of the most lush pieces of music every written.  Here's the song played on a Digital Theater Pipe Organ by an artist that knows what he is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXEkQdcuncI&feature=share

Bill