: RCA 45 Changer  ( 1267 )

Bill

• : 2076
RCA 45 Changer
« : January 21, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »
I need some help with a RCA 45 changer and I'm hoping someone out there might have the answer.  I have had this RCA 45 changer (45-J-2) kicking around for several years and a couple of weeks ago I decided to overhaul it.  I ordered new motor mounts, cartridge, and both drive tires from Gary at VM.  I did a total take apart, clean, and then lubed what was shown in my manual.  After assembling it, and doing the proper adjusting per the RCA service manual I have, I gave it a road test.  I worked but still needed some fine tuning to get the tone arm to land correctly.  Once that was done, it seemed to work just fine.  I put on about 8 records and the changer played side one of all the record great.  I then flipped the records over and started playing side two.  It dropped the first record and played it, and then it started acting up.  Record number 2 started to play, maybe about two revolutions of the record and it rejected and started playing record number 3.  Same thing, it just started playing record number 3 and it rejected and started playing number 4.  That record played all the way thru and then went to record 5 which played about two revolutions and then rejected.  It kept on screwing up until all the records had cycled thru.  What the heck!  I pulled the records off the changer, install 8 new records and started over.  It did the same thing, it might play a record just fine, or it might start the rejecting thing.  Frustrated, I decided to look into it the next day.  Again, I put on 8 records and it played the first side just fine.  I turned them over and it started screwing up.  Again, I walked away and tried again the next day.  Same thing, first side played just fine, the second and all records after that played randomly.  One might work fine, the next would reject and it might continue rejecting until the whole stack was done.  So now I'm thinking this has something to do with heat.  After the unit warms up, it starts to act up.  I opened it up, looked everything over and really could not see anything wrong.  I know I must have things assembled and adjusted correctly or the first side would not play correctly.  Does anyone have any ideas what/why heat/warming up makes this changer act up?   I have done some research on line but have not found anything that really pertains to this problem.  This is a RP198 Changer.   Thanks in advance.  Bill

TC Chris

• : 2841
RCA 45 Changer
« #1 : January 21, 2021, 07:45:51 PM »
There are lots of threads on the little RCA changers over at ARF.  I've got a couple but have never undertaken rebuilds on them yet.  A while back I was reading a history of record changers online and one section dealt with the various trip mechanisms.  Seems to me that RCA used one that was especially appropriate to the design of the disc, with a notable run-out eccentric at the end.  I just tried to find the online history but could not.  Sounds like the trip/reject mechanism is misbehaving, maybe from slight out-of-round conditions?

Chris Campbell

Bill

RCA 45 Changer
« #2 : January 22, 2021, 06:17:20 AM »
Thanks Chris.   I thought of that, but why would the first stack of records play perfect then start to act up once the changer was warmed up?   That's what is confusing to me.

Bill

TC Chris

• : 2841
RCA 45 Changer
« #3 : January 23, 2021, 10:34:38 AM »
That is really an odd symptom.  I've not serviced one of those 45 changers so I don't know what kind of trip mechanism they use.  It seems likely that something is changing the trip sensitivity.

Just curious, but what if you tried re-playing the same stack, same sides a second time.  Does the same problem arise.  If yes, it's a time or duration-of-operation issue. If not, it may relate to disc shape/thickness/eccentricity.

Chris Campbell

Bill

RCA 45 Changer
« #4 : January 24, 2021, 09:08:41 AM »
Thanks Chris, I will give that a try. 

Bill