: Tolex  ( 551 )

Bill

• : 2021
Tolex
« : March 12, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »
I just finished recapping a Phonola multichannel portable stereo.  A friend gave it to me and I finally decided to finish the project.  I had already went thru the changer and installed a new cartridge sometime ago. This portable only has two tubes.  Both are output 50EH5's and they feed three speakers.  There is no preamp tube or rectifier tube, and it actually sounds pretty good.  So my question is:  The Tolex is in pretty good shape, just kind of looks discolored and there are a few stains.  I have tried several things to try and make it look better but have not had much luck so far.  Does anyone have any suggestions, something they use to make Tolex look more like new?  The last thing I tried was GOJO, it did the best job of getting the dirt out but nothing for the discolor or stain.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

TC Chris

• : 2786
Tolex
« #1 : March 12, 2021, 07:35:55 PM »
How about trying some Clorox or peroxide on a hidden section?  Or maybe some Naval Jelly, which is oxalic acid, isn't it?  gain, in a hidden place where an oops" won't show.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
Tolex
« #2 : March 12, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
I like Clorox disinfecting cleaner or disinfecting wipes.  Use this stuff on the white only, since it has bleach in it.  IT might fade the colors.  For the colors, if my "remembery" on how that cabinet looked is good, it has red and blue (maybe gray) stripes.  The stripes can be taped off, then use SMS upholstery dye on the stripes.  This stuff is used in the auto industry to dye plastic interior parts.  It is applied like paint, only it penetrates the material, rather than resting on top.  If the Tolex is still good, and I think on that cabinet is was, this may be your best bet and is not hard to do.  The stuff comes in a myriad of colors, should be able to come up with somthing pretty close.  I have a GE cabinet that the Tolex is still good on, but it is stained.  There are a couple of decals I have to make, but that's what I'm going to do with it.  When you have dark, sort of rusty spots on Tolex, it has been wet or the colors are fading.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

Tolex
« #3 : March 13, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I never thought of bleach or wipes with bleach.  I have some bleach so I will give that a try.  The other Tolex colors are a reddish/orange and gray.  My biggest worry is all the lettering on the inside of the lid. I need to be real careful there.

Bill

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
Tolex
« #4 : March 13, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
You can go to a printing/graphics company who can make those decals.  Take the lid to them, and they'll handle the rest.  I did that with the logo on my golf cart when I redid it.  Lots of brands have decals on the internet that can be copied. If you have new decals made, you just dye the lid, then glom on the decals.  Measure and take pictures before you destroy the original decals.  I'd be careful using straight bleach on Tolex.  Some Tolex has more plastic in it that others.  Some of it is basically paper.  Bleach will eat up the paper type.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

Tolex
« #5 : March 13, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »
AND remember to test any chemicals on hidden areas first, to see what happens.

Chris Campbell

Bill

Re: Tolex
« #6 : March 14, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »
Thanks again guys.  Being careful is my nature, I hate taking the chance of making something worse.

Bill

TC Chris

Re: Tolex
« #7 : March 14, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
Thanks again guys.  Being careful is my nature, I hate taking the chance of making something worse.

I've made things worse so many times. I've kinda revised the old "if it ain't broke" saying to say "if it ain't completely broke" because efforts to make something a little bit better can make them a whole lot worse.

Chris Campbell

Bill

Tolex
« #8 : March 14, 2021, 06:11:20 PM »
How well I know Chris, how well I know.

Bill