: Maggie volume control  ( 259 )

Bill

• : 2021
Maggie volume control
« : March 14, 2021, 06:39:39 PM »
I'm in a pickle, I need a volume pot for a Magnavox Imperial.  Much to my dismay, and after a lot of doubt, I finally decided that the volume pot was bad.  I finally opened it up, and found absolutely no carbon.  I have no idea where it went, but it was gone.  This is a double volume pot.  1 meg in value with a 90K back tap.  Magnavox part number: 220151-32.  It also has Mallory part numbers listed in the Sam's, FB16T15 probably front section, RU16T15 probably rear section and this number CS3500.  The EIA code is 137 which is CTS and a build date 6135.  If anyone has any info where I might find said volume pot I would appreciate it. 

Thanks, Bill

Bill

Maggie volume control
« #1 : March 16, 2021, 06:43:41 PM »
I'm in a pickle, I need a volume pot for a Magnavox Imperial.  Much to my dismay, and after a lot of doubt, I finally decided that the volume pot was bad.  I finally opened it up, and found absolutely no carbon.  I have no idea where it went, but it was gone.  This is a double volume pot.  1 meg in value with a 90K back tap.  Magnavox part number: 220151-32.  It also has Mallory part numbers listed in the Sam's, FB16T15 probably front section, RU16T15 probably rear section and this number CS3500.  The EIA code is 137 which is CTS and a build date 6135.  If anyone has any info where I might find said volume pot I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Bill

hermitcrab

• : 252
Maggie volume control
« #2 : April 17, 2021, 06:28:37 PM »
Bill ,  Mark Oppat can make you one 
Old Radio Parts - Capacitors and Dials for Antique Radioshttps://www.oldradioparts.net
I don't think Playthings of the past is running yet.... but I bet he would have one
Elton

hermitcrab

Maggie volume control
« #3 : April 17, 2021, 06:43:57 PM »
Bill , funny ... my magnavox imperial  did the same thing , one channel dead and it was the pot completely wiped dry...mine was a 3.3 meg with 2 taps ... playthings of  the past listed the one I needed, but the site is not taking orders yet. I fixed my own .... I found a 3 meg pot on ebay and did a carbon transplant ... where the taps joined the main carbon I cut them off using a dremel. when I put the new carbon in I joined the tabs to the carbon with electrical rear window defroster paint ... it works great lol....
Elton

TC Chris

• : 2786
Maggie volume control
« #4 : April 17, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
Bill , funny ... my magnavox imperial  did the same thing , one channel dead and it was the pot completely wiped dry...mine was a 3.3 meg with 2 taps ... playthings of  the past listed the one I needed, but the site is not taking orders yet. I fixed my own .... I found a 3 meg pot on ebay and did a carbon transplant ... where the taps joined the main carbon I cut them off using a dremel. when I put the new carbon in I joined the tabs to the carbon with electrical rear window defroster paint ... it works great lol....

Any photos?  My boss got her mom's Astrosonic and on one channel, there' no output until the volume pot is advanced about half way and then it's too loud. I figured it was a pot issue, and that it was only working when I got past the loudness tap.  But she has these two nasty small dogs that go insane when others are around, and I was worried about the stupid Molex connectors breaking.  I should try again.  Get the dogs secured and say the hell with the Molex.  Then I could take the electronics home and check 'em out with the ohmmeter.  I was kinda waiting for the dogs to die.  Can't happen soon enough.

Chris Campbell

Bill

Maggie volume control
« #5 : April 18, 2021, 09:16:43 AM »
Thanks Elton!   I was reminded of Mark's site from a friend and the new volume pot is on order.  :) :)   I like your idea of your fix, I would never have thought of that, using car rear defrost paint.  My Imperial 1 meg pot has two taps as well, I hope Mark knows that?  Is Playthings of the past a new site?  I have never heard of that one?  I guess if we all have patience what we are looking for is out there someplace. 

Bill

hermitcrab

Maggie volume control
« #6 : April 28, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
Well, I gave the simple version....My original plan was to use rear window paint...go to any parts store today and ask the 20 somethings behind the counter for that item .... and they look at you like you have 2 heads... no one carries it anymore because now the grids are all inside he glass. So I bought some graphite powder for locks. mixed the powder with a dab of elmer's glue , it did not take much to turn the glue into a paintable conductor. it worked so it's all good. 
Elton

TC Chris

• : 2786
Maggie volume control
« #7 : April 28, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »
Great concept with the lock graphite.  I wonder if epoxy glue would work?  Maybe more durable in higher temps?

Now apply your creative thinking to this one.  I was working on a CD player and, in one of those fits of stupidity that seize me from time to time, I managed to break the plastic ribbon cable that connects the laser head.  A flat plastic film with lots of little skinny conductors across it.  There must be some work-around.

Chris Campbell

Bill

Maggie volume control
« #8 : April 29, 2021, 06:55:58 AM »
Looking at what Elton and Chris posted on my thread reminded me that I did not post that my new volume pot arrived from Mark Oppat.  It looks good, not sure if it's new old stock or something he built as it has a Centralab sticker on it.  I have yet to install it, but that might happen today. 

Bill

hermitcrab

Maggie volume control
« #9 : May 02, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »
Well at least you got quick service from Mark... the reason I made my own?.... because Mark kept on forgetting the one i asked him to build for me like for 2 months ... so I told him nevermind and built my own
Elton

Bill

Maggie volume control
« #10 : May 03, 2021, 07:38:23 AM »
Elton,

That's kind of the way it was when I needed an output transformer.  Mark was recommended, so I contacted him.  He said yup, he had one and he would get back to me as soon as he located it.  After a month I reached out again, did not hear back and then about a week later one showed up.  It was the wrong one.  I contacted him again, he got right back to me, said he was sorry that he grabbed the wrong one and that he would get it right out to me.  He did, it was correct, and the radio plays.  When I reached out to him about the volume control it took about two weeks before I heard back.  He said he could provide what I needed, and about 5 days later I had it.  From what I have heard he is the go to guy for controls, and some one mentioned he has apartments so that maybe why sometimes he is slow on his turnaround.  I would have never thought about what you did Elton to make a volume pot.  You are very creative and at a much higher skill level than I am.  I'm learning, but I am very slow at understanding all the workings of this electronic stuff.  I think old age factors in.  :)

Bill