: Zenith Console  ( 821 )

Bill

• : 2076
Zenith Console
« : May 19, 2021, 04:48:36 PM »
The other day my cousin called, she knows I like consoles.  The conversation went like this:  "Hey Bill, I'm just leaving an estate sale in Pentwater but I wanted you to know there is this console record player and I think you should check it out."  ME: "OK, what does it look like, did you notice the brand?"  COUSIN:  "It's pretty, and it's huge and there were record stacked on top so I could not open it, but it was playing."   ME: "how did it sound?"  COUSIN:  "OK, I guess, you know me I listen to a boom box."   ME: "Where is it?"  So she told me where it was located and off I went.  For those of you that are not familiar with the area where I live, Pentwater is the next little town to the north.  I was there in less than 10 minutes.  Sure enough, it was playing, and it is huge.  Like 6 feet huge.  The cabinet was Early American and in nice shape, just the typical flea bits.  I moved the records, raised the lid, and discovered it was a Zenith.  Actually a TOTL Zenith.  It was playing an FM station so I moved the dial just to see what else it might pull in.  The unit pulled in more FM stations than anything I have, or have seen in a long time.  And, it was just using the built in FM antenna.  Now my area is small town rural, so unless you have an external antenna you really do not get all that many stations.  Needless to say I was impressed.  Not only with FM reception but with the sound that came out of this thing.  As I was looking it over I discovered two things.  One, it had all of it's paper work, and two, it had a brochure.  It turns out it's a 1969 Zenith model Z968M.  It is fully solid state.  Big separate amp, big tuner, 8 speakers, and the deluxe Zenith belt drive changer with the 45 adaptor built into the platter.  Speakers are 15" woofers, horn mid range and 4 tweeters.  The brochure states it has 320 watts of peak power, and 20-20,000 frequency range. OK, sure!  The other thing I discovered is the modern/contemporary (model Z960W or ZT960W), the one with the 4 louvers on each side is its brother.  Yup, same guts just a different cabinet.  So, what to do?  Bring it home, or leave it there?  And, if I bring it home where am I going to put it?  This was the last day of the sale and I'm figuring if no one bought it yet, no one was going too.  So what do estate sale people do with something like this, something that's left over?  The thought of it potentially going to a dumpster was more than I could bare.  Yes, it followed me home and is sitting in the garage.  I gave it a good scrubbing inside and out and a treatment of Maple flavored Howard's.  It cleaned up great, but I still need to check out the changer.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one. 

Bill

Here's a link from ARF on one of the other models:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256886

Here is a link I found with the hood up:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Faudiokarma.org%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fquestion-re-1964-1969-zenith-consoles-value.448631%2F&psig=AOvVaw2BoQb5r7G_gIeb5EXQmfgM&ust=1621547117465000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKCar_Hb1vACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

TC Chris

• : 2841
Zenith Console
« #1 : May 19, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »
Wow, great find, and you're a lucky guy to have a place for it!  Even if it's in the garage....  Keep us updated on how it develops.

Chris Campbell

chazglenn3

• : 328
Zenith Console
« #2 : May 19, 2021, 11:39:47 PM »
They do sound incredible! My Zenith is a 1968 YT960. Slightly different tuner than the 1969 but all else the same (minus the tape deck in mine).
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bill

Zenith Console
« #3 : May 20, 2021, 08:16:15 AM »
Thanks Chris and Charles!   I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, I just do not have room for it in the house.  You know how it goes, if something comes in, something must go. 

Bill

firedome

• : 583
Zenith Console
« #4 : May 20, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »
Do a toe to toe comparison and get rid of the loser! lol
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

Zenith Console
« #5 : May 21, 2021, 06:51:28 AM »
That's a good idea Roger and I already know which would come out on top, the Zenith.  It out performs every console I have.  There is absolutely no room on the main floor of the house.  The only console that lives there is my Grandparents RCA stereo theater.  The rest of my collection is in the basement and it would be a royal pain to move the Zenith to the basement.  I have another idea, I have a friend that lives and breaths Zenith.  He has Zenith everywhere in his home, not sure why his wife allows it but that's up to them.  He has nothing like this, and when he saw it, well lets just say he was jealous.  If I decide to let him have it I can listen to it anytime I want.  Time will tell!

Bill

Motorola Minion

• : 1273
  • Southern Pennsylvania
Zenith Console
« #6 : May 21, 2021, 12:47:19 PM »
That sounds like a great plan Bill, if your acquaintance allows you access and doesn't mind what you play ::)

The fact it was operating normally may suggest either low hours or gentle but regular use. I paid $50 for a '69 Zenith Z966 "the Molino", but it played poorly at the time it arrived,  I figured it may need speakers, caps, etc and of course, lots of time to get right. So it sits, in company of my Pontiac and a TWO other SS consoles from RCA and Sylvania.

Z966 was in most of the print ads and became the Contessa for 1970, still advertising 320 watts(?) https://www.ebay.com/itm/133580965086?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1f1a0bc4de:g:WrsAAOSwLgNfta8j&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkBUIiHwYv5YgVss0WaiENz%252BEVolnmSuKXGwgs2KDhuAHLDyCXVYqm%252Bj2lCwfmPqSr4M%252BPebh8tBzAp3PDKSu%252FAYyqHwV%252B4eE2HxKc%252FHSHBDk0iQLdwgm4xWd%252BHtdUmMI%252BBqBC41r%252FO1sHH%252Fc42Dxa5%252FEvQpT%252B3xSJ%252FsJeJUwYqAmDK3AuS0AfsrMuBJCJQMbIrrbWQi8MPFljAWu8TXrrP98jC5jLEuE4whN9J85Ql1TAYzlTdUs7J68oUxp7YEdDoZMAvgcAKobGqb%252FSMBwXWkmIU%252FDd11U0ryhWD5Xn%252BWNBCGj1%252FnSc7l06vaiD0H9ot9k6EQJjS9%252Bklk%252FS0x2WN6aU5RgwgDaMv1vE2ouEx%252FOGdgwZfFMQ0HJzHrqQY9cUYR83iiWwGD98p46z4%252FJS8NA8y96rBTAFzuOsTQcK15Ya3qd7u4BBn%252FoAEAhAVrbfajroOBGfNaW7CVlhL4jtpJ3N0%252BqJjhN1JPAR0DmxB4HGiIo1QezgAqFpAZUjW7jsSWKN15Hi3p0Rm5cVRr6l2LYr8wotemmcpYZrf03w%252FJWJK7Ey4SSvG%252BhUjmWF5OrX2r91gTcfzPhC2rdWKtiJ52ygTpfGPIGi%252FFmed%252Bn239S%252FvuyZ9dgPyu94JMLJWA2AaxnSU578iYWgwkoMnL%252FlIy%252BkmkOCKfwKorWpl5qiQr0cLekCX3XfPDkjv2cUuPPFo05jDCmKj6HQYZYjS0Qpv%252B8y%252BGqwmu0KYuOPrznyXDjcU%252Fbawm9qC%252BdyvmJz6%252FhlcWHwB5Ad8N6%252Bt5xoNXvjjMOi%252BgAO%252FSSMF7j01pRFngw%253D%7Ccksum%3A13358096508681b51110ea0243909c2d037c6de9a8bd%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524, uses the same chassis and changer in a dark Mediterranean but not a too-ugly cabinet. Its heavy and the wheels are shot from its last assignment in a huge basement game room and bar. From the vibe of its last home, I think it was used pretty hard and I expect the worst when I finally do something with it.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

Zenith Console
« #7 : May 22, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »
Thanks Dave!   That's mine except different cabinet and no tape player.  I think if it would have had the R to R I would definitely found a place for it.  The family/guy that will probably get it does not hang on to things for very long.  The next pretty thing that comes along usually follows him home and something goes out the door.  He will have instructions if that happens it comes back to me, not to his garage where anything and everything can get to it. 

Bill

hermitcrab

• : 258
Zenith Console
« #8 : May 22, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »
Bill, Don't feel bad about grabbing it.. I think 99% of the people on this forum would have done the same... room for it or not... I would ...
Elton

TC Chris

• : 2841
Zenith Console
« #9 : May 22, 2021, 08:01:18 PM »
My brother, a Vermonter, just sent an article on their governor, a Republican in a Blue state.  He's so popular that he ran his campaign from a garage he rents to store his motorcycles.  He won by 40 points.  But I'm jealous of anybody who has an extra garage!

Chris Campbell

Bill

Zenith Console
« #10 : May 23, 2021, 07:54:05 AM »
That can be a curse too Chris.  My house garage it basically a 3 stall with only two doors so there is room for stuff.  I also have a 30X45 pole barn and that's where the danger comes in.  It's strictly for storage, but that's a lot of square feet to fill up.  I have several consoles out there waiting restoration along with two trailers, the Metropolitan, four lawn mowers, tiller, big leaf blower, snow blower, and lots of other stuff...too much stuff.  The bigger the space, the more stuff you accumulate.  It's time for another yard sale.  ;) :)

Bill

firedome

• : 583
Zenith Console
« #11 : May 23, 2021, 09:55:25 AM »
Ya as they say your possessions can come to possess you.. Space - the Final Frontier... can be dangerous. I find I have to purge often being in a small 1000 sq ft house. But that Zenith is an impressive instrument, I'd want one too!

Chris, I've met Phil Scott, he's a very successful businessman and is a circle track car racer as a hobby, look up Thunder Road Barre VT. Very nice guy, sensible, moderate, I'd totally vote for him if we still lived in VT, our son did. Dick Mazza, who I'm sure your brother has heard of, a  Dem and the most powerful guy in the VT Senate, is a big Scott supporter. I've known Dick since 1955, he owns the small general store we can walk to from our camp that he's run since his Dad died when he was something like 19. If Dick likes Scott that really means something and good enough for me... we be back up there on Thursday, he's still in the store a lot at 80 something.

It's a small state,and  politics is very much retail. When we lived there I met Howard Dean once in a stairwell of a parking garage in Burlington, it was the year he was running for Pres. He was by himself and just going Christmas shopping, wearing the wire-frame glasses he never wears in public,  Also a very decent and smart guy, though not the best politician - he says what he really believes, you can see where that got him.  A woman Dr. that my wife knows from her medical days there practices in Shelburne with Dean's wife Judy Steinberg. In such a small state it's easy to know people. I've been by Dean's house, and to Bernie's house in N Burlington twice, not inside, just in the front yard, a pretty modest place for a guy like that. VT is one of the few places left with mostly non-corrupt politics, the legislature is strictly part time, everyone has another job, and they're mostly not lawyers, TG, but teachers, farmers, store owners, small business people... in other words real people making a living.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

danrclem

• : 621
Zenith Console
« #12 : May 25, 2021, 09:23:58 PM »
I've heard that those TOTL Zenith consoles in that era sound very good.  Stack them and make high risers out of them.

Bill

Zenith Console
« #13 : May 26, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
It does sound awesome Danny, and if I had room it would be a keeper.  I guess it's time to downsize the collection to make room for new finds.  ;) :)

Bill