: California music  ( 330 )

TC Chris

• : 2841
California music
« : June 30, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »
No, not the Beach Boys.  Movie music!  I'm a sucker for movie music.  In the '30s and '40s, one of Hollywood's big composers was Erich Wolfgang Korngold, a refugee from Austria.  He wrote scores for many films, especially Erroll Flynn adventures. One of most famous was for the Sea Hawk.  Later in life he borrowed themes from his movie scores and wrote concert music, including a wonderful violin concerto.  It's playing on the radio right now.  And somehow it always puts me in mind of sunny  California--sunshine, blue skies, ocean views.  And it's filled with lots of great tunes, the ones he borrowed from himself.

You can catch it on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcGEGl5bdbk

It's California on a sunny day.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• : 2076
California music
« #1 : July 01, 2021, 06:11:34 PM »
He is a composer I have never heard of, but definitely knew what he was doing.  I noticed about half the musicians were young, which is good in my opinion.  Youth in anything is always a good thing.

Bill

TC Chris

California music
« #2 : July 01, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
Agreed on the youth thing being generally good.  Problem is, when you get to be my age, most everybody looks like a "young person." Just looking at 2010 U.S. Census data, only 17% of the male population is  older than I am.  That leaves 83% of the guys who are younger.  Women generally live longer than men but I'm guessing that 80% of the total population is younger than I am.

I'm also an active sailor and that's a field where you find lots of old folks.  It has been heartening to see some younger people getting interested.  One neighbor guy in his 20s bought a good 25' boat on a trailer and has been sailing all the time, getting his dad involved also.  Then at the boatyard a young guy spent the spring doing one of life's least pleasant chores, sanding and refinishing the bottom, on a 30' boat from the 1960s that he bought on a good trailer.  We passed each other sailing last night, both delayed getting into the water this year.

The important thing is being open to learning from the young people and equally willing to share knowledge when they need it.  I keep learning new things from my younger colleagues at work and they feel free to ask me for advice too.

Back to the music.  You can find lots of Korngold on YouTube.  Listen to "The seahawk" score here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RPzAbW7No

Korngold was one of the composers who invented movie music.  It's easy to like.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• : 536
California music
« #3 : July 02, 2021, 04:29:32 AM »
Korngold and Max Steiner were the biggies of movie themes of the Golden age.  Each had their own style.  Max was very dramatic...

I have an album of Bette Davis movie themes from the early '70s.  You get an ear for who's who when you listen to it...

Bill

California music
« #4 : July 02, 2021, 07:27:53 AM »
The census data may say your are old, but you are not old Chris.  To me, people are only as old as they want to be.  If you think young, stay active both in mind an physically, you will stay young.  There are some days I feel a 100, but I just keep moving and try not to let those days slow me down. 

I must have lived under a rock most of my life Walyfd.  But, I guess not totally under a rock because I do know who Max Steiner is.  There is an album of Bette David movie themes? 

Bill

TC Chris

California music
« #6 : July 02, 2021, 05:13:46 PM »
The tradition continues for original film scores.  Two I especially liked were Carter Burwell's for the remake of True Grit (based  on American hymns) and Hans Zimmer's for Interstellar.  The first one that ever captured my attention was Max Steiner's for Gone with the Wind.  Later in my youth there was one of my favorite movies ever, Lawrence of Arabia, with its classic score by Maurice Jarre.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• : 536
California music
« #7 : July 03, 2021, 05:25:34 AM »
WRTI public radio from Philly has "Flicks at 5" every weekday where they play a movie theme.  It's good to hear that this music is being played and recorded long after the film is forgotten.

Bill

California music
« #8 : July 03, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
Music, always seems to live on long after everything else is gone by the wayside.  Some pieces of music bring tears to my eyes, while others are ok but just ok, and still others I really do not want to hear ever again.   For each of us it is different, and I guess that is what makes the world go around.

Bill

firedome

• : 583
California music
« #9 : July 15, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
We had a great jazz and big band station here that has now become just news and talk, seems that's an unfortunate trend in recent years.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Motorola Minion

• : 1273
  • Southern Pennsylvania
California music
« #10 : July 20, 2021, 08:23:00 AM »
When I grew up in the 70s, most of the genres had been established. As I acquired better receivers, optimizing antennas and started listening to DX night time radio, I stopped on any music that was not popular or fleeting like disco.

Only two or three BC stations still play music at night and they all seem to be Canadian. Between sports talk and politics, the band is too lop-sided.

WNEW 1130 was a NYC station that my Fisher 610 would bring in and they played lots of jazz, show tunes and big band music. That is so appropriate for a Fisher, only seriously good stuff 8). For daytime listening it was WPEN 950 in Philadelphia, who promoted big band music in their short commercials on TV!!!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

California music
« #11 : July 20, 2021, 10:21:35 PM »
I'm listening to a 1959 Guy Lombardo LP right now.  I saved a batch from the dumpster and try to ick out the obvious good ones, then listen to a few unknowns.  I may just keep this one so as to have at least one Lombardo recording.  It would be appropriate fr the mono consoles.  Before that I listened to a Louis Prim & Keely Smith offering, also from 1959. More substantial....

Chris Campbell

Bill

California music
« #12 : July 21, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
I'm not sure why, but I have never been a big fan of Guy.  Louis and Keely were good together musically, but I guess they did not get along married.  After they split I think he kind of faded away and she kept recording.  I see plenty of albums with her name on them but not so much him.

All the AM stations around me except one are talk or sports.  The one that still plays music has a variety.  The genre goes from big band/Great American song book to about mid 60's. 

Bill

TC Chris

California music
« #13 : July 21, 2021, 10:33:42 PM »
Late last night I was listening to an AM station from Toronto, 740 kHz, playing blues and then rockabilly.  Try it late.

Chris Campbell

Bill

California music
« #14 : July 22, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
I have tried later in the evening.  I'm usually in bed by 10, 11 the latest so not real late.  The station that I do get music on is gone, and I can get receive more stations at night, but still none with music.  Maybe I need a outside antenna of some kind? 

Bill