: Stirring the pot  ( 351 )

Mokka Matti

• : 1
Stirring the pot
« #15 : July 14, 2021, 12:49:36 AM »

Good evening/morning/day, whatever the case may be.  I'm going to see if this response gets posted, since this site seems to have become less accessible since I last frequented it way too long ago.  I was hoping to see if there was any new activity here, especially with regards to SS Magnavox posts (or any Maggie posts, period).  I am currently without a working TT of any kind, though I'm hopeful that at least my January 1969-built Maggie overgrown AM/FM/Phono "portable" will soon be fully functional, once my replacement cartridge arrives from back east. 

I noticed that while I had been good about changing the stylus, the audio quality was becoming hit or miss, and I questioned if my Eustachian tubes were worse than before,  and making the playback so muddy.  I finally realized that the rubber bridge/support for the stylus in the cartridge was completely GONE (not sure at what point it finally failed).  While I've had this Maggie for 5 years now, I had been told by the seller that it had been inspected by a reputable tech, and any issues had been addressed before it was offered for sale.  When I checked my cartridge, I discovered it was an Astatic 195D, which looked like it may have even been the original unit in the tonearm.  I went ahead an ordered a Pfanstiehl P-191D as a replacement since it's the closest available replacement for what came on the Collaro W621 changer, and can only hope it sounds no worse than what was originally installed, knowing full well that this is an archaic ceramic type cartridge, not a MM type like in high end TTs. 

Still hoping to someday get my late parents' 1964 SS Magnavox Astro-Sonic Imperial console rebuilt, but I am not sure that's a project I want to take on myself, since everything from amp to tuner to even the phantom remote will need to be checked out.  My mother had hoped that while she was still alive, we could get it back to sounding like it did when she and Dad got it new not long after they got married, but since her death in late 2016, there's been a number of other priorities.

Like has been already mentioned, summer is not the most conducive time to frequent chat rooms/boards, as there's so much else to do, even out here in the PNW.  I hope this board sees some more activity soon, as I really appreciated the amount of info shared here in the past.  If anyone has suggestions for vintage audio technicians in the Greater Seattle-Tacoma area, I'd sure be interested in learning who I may be able to approach for help with the Astro-Sonic Imperial.

Best Regards,

Matthew

C'mon guys, post some stories or questions (was going to add "photos" but we can't post those, can we?). I've been trying to stir the pot a bit and just posted a note under "electronics."  For me this is the least electronic season but it's still fun to read something new.  Tonight was going to be a sailing night but the rain started just after my after-work hike so that was nixed. The plan is always to engage in house cleaning on rainy evenings but it's more fun to go online than to clean house.

Chris Campbell

C'mon guys, post some stories or questions (was going to add "photos" but we can't post those, can we?). I've been trying to stir the pot a bit and just posted a note under "electronics."  For me this is the least electronic season but it's still fun to read something new.  Tonight was going to be a sailing night but the rain started just after my after-work hike so that was nixed. The plan is always to engage in house cleaning on rainy evenings but it's more fun to go online than to clean house.

Chris Campbell

firedome

• : 583
Stirring the pot
« #16 : July 14, 2021, 01:17:40 PM »
A number of previous members have shown up since the site went down a couple of times and was restored (sort-of) early last Spring, but potential new folks have had trouble figuring out how to initially join up and do a first post - can you detail how you accomplished it? Ie: what icons and how did you use them to join up?

Sounds like you have some nice Maggies. For repair I'd suggest you contact a local radio or Ham club or attend a local arrl.org Hamfest, they may have suggestions as to who'd work on vintage stuff. Yours are well worth restoring (replace caps etc) in the usual manner.

www.antiqueradios.com and classichificare.com are other places for info on old console stereos.
www.thevoiceofmusic.com is the place for info on cartridges and styii.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

• : 2076
Stirring the pot
« #17 : July 15, 2021, 07:28:30 AM »
Mathew actually joined the forum December 1, 2015.  It would be nice if he just joined and we could learn how he did it.  But, I think having someone new join will never happen as long as the forum is in the state it is in now. 

Bill